I Forge Iron

Refractory cement Ad nauseam

Kozzy

Yes, I know that refractory questions have been about beaten to death but this one is a hair different and I need a little guidance.

I need to re-cast the hard cement portion of an older johnson type forge--the stuff under the surface fire bricks that forms the "trough" that the tuyeres blow into.  I've cross referenced a couple of products that appear to be close but the rated temperatures seem to be a little lower than I would think is appropriate.  Because the blown tuyere shoots across approximately a 5" gap and directly into the refractory on the other side, I don't see something rated to 2200-2300 degrees F (that's about 1250 c) taking the constant flame all that well.  Maybe I'm wrong.

This is the heavy cement type--as dense as mortar (roughly) and not the lightweight stuff.  It also has to be castable to about 4" thick by 6" wide, something that many castables say they cannot do.

Is anybody able to point me to a proper product for this use? (preferably available mail order in the USA)

Thanks

For those who are not familiar with Johnson type forges (gas hogs to be sure but that's for a different days debate), here is a photo of the same model (but not my unit)  

IMG_0001.jpg

you would do well to contact these people http://www.anhrefractories.com/   try to call your nearest location by phone and ask them for the answer,  They have gotten very picky about revealing product performance specs over the internet;   If you get and answer from them looks for an equitant on line or just get them to ship to your address.   They will work with business licensed folks but individuals not so much.  I deal with a location 40 miles from my house by walking in their front door.  If I wasn't on their carpet they would not talk to me. (it was different 15 years ago :angry: )

Kozzy,

If you really like that forge, than I would suggest being bolder and planning on replacing the bricks completely with a multiyaered floor, wall, and lid consisting of updated materials (see chapter six in my book, which you can find Pirated PDF copies of on the Net for free). Otherwise, I'd suggest you dump it for a more up to date design. That piece of equipment dates back to times when heating equipment materials were a lot greater expense than the fuels to run them; these days the opposite is true.

15 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

Kozzy,

If you really like that forge, than I would suggest being bolder and planning on replacing the bricks completely with a multiyaered floor, wall, and lid consisting of updated materials (see chapter six in my book, which you can find Pirated PDF copies of on the Net for free). Otherwise, I'd suggest you dump it for a more up to date design. That piece of equipment dates back to times when heating equipment materials were a lot greater expense than the fuels to run them; these days the opposite is true.

Thanks for the info.  This is really only for use as a back-up forge when something that needs a large heat comes around such as heat treating a larger object.  You can shut down 2 of the 4 tuyeres which would help gas use a little but I do know it's not practical for daily work.  I've been pondering "upgrades" also to some more modern materials, especially in the lid, as well as tweaks to better enclose and retain heat rather than heating the whole world.  Primary forging is done in a coal burner for now...and will eventually be in a smaller proper gasser.

Can you elaborate on what to search on to take a look at the book you mentioned?

Thinking even more...This old beater has all the beginnings of what would be needed for a proper gasser with a ribbon burner. All I'd need to do is ditch the old lid, fill the trough to make a proper hearth, and build a much smaller enclosure to sit on the hearth as the heat chamber.  Hmmmmm.

Kozzy,

Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces, & Kilns is available through Amazon.com, where you can take an electronic peek inside of it. Pirated PDF downloads are available "free" on the Net, but watch your six on those sites; some sites are okay and others are definitely not. I don't feel disloyal to the publisher in mentioning this, since book sales have nearly doubled since it was pirated :D