I Forge Iron

Champion Blower and Forge Drill Press

I recently was given a Champion blower and forge drill press model 101. It seems to be missing the handle on the one side. The ball bearing in the top seems to be worn. Can someone point me to a site or may have the tear down procedures for this model? I would like to clean it up and see if I can get it working ok.  The chuck seems to be a add on and not original, currently not working correctly either. What is the best way to source parts for this model? I will try and post some other photos later.

IMG_20151206_131615559.jpg

IMG_20151206_131626918.jpg

IMG_20151206_131721769_HDR.jpg

From my experience, tear-down is pretty straight forward for these. Loosen the screw and take the gear, shaft, whatever off. Based on the photos you included, condition looks pretty good, not overly corroded, just a bit dusty. The ball bearings look shiny so not sure why you think they are worn. Maybe just needs a little grease/oil and adjust the race. Can't comment on the chuck or missing handle since you didn't include photos of those areas. If it's like mine (can't remember my model), the handle takes a flat bar something like a 3/8" X 1". Looks like you might be missing the spring for the auto-advance mechanism, but I can't be sure from the pics.

The ball bearing is missing a few balls. There are spaces in the bearing set. I agree it does not look worn and is more dirty than anything. The photos are right off the back of my truck after getting home with it. Here are two more photos. One of the chuck and the other from the upper arm. It looks like the arm rides a cam and advances the drill somehow.

Not sure how it works. It cleaned up nice. I did not take it all apart just a little WD40 and a shop vac. Emery cloth to the shaft to get some surface pitting. I will take photos later and post.

thanks

IMG_20151206_131608562.jpg

IMG_20151206_131649590.jpg

You got it- the arm rids a cam on the main shaft. The little flappy thing on the top of the arm advances the top gear, which drives down the chuck shaft. It then ratchets back- there should be a compression spring to push it back. There is also a small thumb screw to adjust how far back the arm is pushed by the spring. I can dial mine in so the ratchet backs up from 1 to 3 teeth in the gear. 1 tooth is minimum return for larger bits, up to 3 teeth for small bits. It is a fun little toy in my shop- people are fascinated by how effectively it works. I am pragmatic, though and also have a new fangled drill press with an electrical motor. Finding parts could be tougher- post a listing in the tailgating section, for starters.

Steve