I Forge Iron

Propane Regulator Setup

kpopejoy

Most of the setups I've seen have a portable tank sitting next to the forge with the regulator connected directly to the tank and a hose leading to the forge plumbing. I'm not really comfortable having the tank right there. So, I would prefer to keep my portable tank relatively remote from the forge and have my Fisher 0-30 psi regulator located with the forge plumbing so I can easily adjust it while working. I know in a typical permanent tank installation there's a secondary and primary regulator. Can I install a secondary regulator at the portable tank for added safety and if so do you have suggestions on the type/specifications of such a reg?

What are the laws like in the country you live in?  Here in America local regulations usually cover such things and contravening them can result in a loophole for Insurance companies to avoid paying out if there is a fire in your shop---even if it had nothing to do with the propane system!  What I would do here in America is to talk with a local propane supply place about what would work in that situation.

had a long reply---disappeared to that bit bucket in the sky---sigh   Generally we try to guide people away from things that can get them in legal/insurance trouble.  My local propane supply are great folks, Action Gas in Socorro NM, they have come in out of hours for me before; they inspected a 50 year old propane kitchen range for us---turns out one of the guys used to be a repairman for them!  Inspected my installation as local regs require a licensed installer or licensed inspection and test. (Told my wife I had done an excellent job; shocked her badly!), etc.  They should know the local requirements.  

On November 20, 2015 at 4:14:25 PM, Frosty said:

Talking to professionals when dealing with potentially deadly things is a good idea. Placing others in danger or legal liability by guessing about such matters is irresponsible in a big way.

This surprises you?

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't disagree. I'm not guessing, I'm asking questions. This, on a forum that discusses and provides details on what are essentially DIY flame throwers. So yes, I'm a little surprised there is no discussion about how you manage the fuel source. That said, Thomas made a good point and I'll follow up locally if I decide to change my setup. 

Safety regulations agree with your choice. Propane cylinders are supposed to be kept outside of a shop, with the gas piped inside or carried in a fuel hose. A propane cylinder is never supposed to be positioned near to the forge.

You're also right about two regulators, although you can fine tune gas input with a fuel rated needle valve effectively and safely, if you have a regulator at the cylinder end of your hose to keep gas pressure on your hose and gas fittings limited.

Advising people to check things out with their local propane supplier is more palatable than advising people to check with their local Fire Marshal, since calling on the fire department for advice alerts local authority to what you're doing, but my advice is to involve them in your plans from the very beginning. Most people fear that they will nit-pick and interfere in every way; they have better things to do. The more likely problem is likely to be a reluctance to advise you at all.