I Forge Iron

Japanese Nata Hatchet

Here's a recent piece I did. Japanese Nata style hatchet. 17" OAL, 7.5in cutting edge. 5160, red oak handle. A little... beefier than I intended, but I'm okay with it. I really like Japanese tools. I hope to do some wood chisels soon. I like this piece, I'm hoping to hang on to it. Limbs really nice and does a number on firewood, too. Thanks for looking! 

IMG_20151019_155507.jpg

IMG_20151020_160406.jpg

IMG_20151029_165547.jpg

Is the bevel on both sides or just one?  I have seen both done.  Opinion on balance when whacking when it has only a single bevel?  I was given a hatchet once that was single bevel with the mass out of balance (a commercial product) and every time you whacked it tried to twist out of your hand.  

Hey folks! This one is a double bevel. The balance on this one is pretty nice, no twisting or anything. It slams down with a "WHACK" noise real nice and solid. Kozzy, was it some sort of a hewing hatcet? a lot of times those eyes are off on one side to make for ease of hewing and squaring timber. 

Thomas, I have not! I have seen quite a few of them but I haven't gotten my hands on one yet! 

Thanks for the info.  That hatchet was one of those gimmick items for splitting kindling wood--was supposed to give a side thrust to peel off only one direction.  Got it as a christmas gift and soon "re-gifted" it to someone who was going to use it for something like chicken killing.  Awful to use which is why I asked about the single bevel on this one.

Yours looks interesting and highly useful--especially on water sprouts on my orchard trees as Charlotte mentioned.  My goats would appreciate me making a tool that prompts me to cut them snacks more often :)