I Forge Iron

Help building up anvil

Welcome to both the forum and the craft catdriver, Please add a location to your profile, you'll then find others in your area who will almost certainly be able and willing to help you along. As for the avnil, it looks sorry for itself in the photo, but if you can post more pictures of it and some detail information then there are those here who can offer wise advice. At a guess, I would not be surprised if it can be used as is to good effect for the time being.

Here are some pics of the anvil that is in need of some help. I can't see any markings on it so the only thing I can tell u about it is it is 65 lbs. Again thank you guys for any help on pointing me in the right direction to getting the old girl a face lift.

20151113_075451.jpg

20151113_075437.jpg

20151113_075428.jpg

Get the surfaced cleaned up so you can gvie it a decent inspection for faults (cracks), also the top looks to be welded on, difficult to tell from the photo's in it's current condition. The hardy hole may be usable, but as you are unlikely to have and hardy tools yet it's not a primary concern and I see you have a vice anyway so you could use that to hold tools.  If all else fails, as a starter anvil you could always lay it on it's side and use other faces to work on where appropriate.

But for the time being, clean it up, you may find a mark on there somewhere yet. It'll be easier to judge what if any areas areas of the face are usable or not. I'd not be in any hurry to start any renovations.....you may find you can live with a lot of it's imperfections, and something else may turn up a lot cheaper than the cost of renovating.

Greetings catdriver! I too am a smith from Utah, if you are not already a member seriously consider becoming a member of our local blacksmith group. We are the Bonneville Forge Council and can be found at http://www.bfcsmiths.com/ . Its not listed on the website but we have a meeting tomorrow if you can make it. This is an amazing group of smiths who are more than happy to help you along and answer any questions that you may have.

Caintuckrifle

Also is that the little Vulcan that was listed on KSL? For starters I would say hit it with a flap wheel and get started smithing, you will figure out what else need to be done as you continue learning. As for welding it can often be expensive and lead to reduced rebound and quality.

learn the basics on it. the advantage is that you don't have to mind too much when you misplace a blow. when you'll be able to make some simple nice items to sell for some money, you can very fast save them for a good anvil. that cold be items that you can sell for, let's say 15$. sell 20-30 and you can have enough money for that anvil.