I Forge Iron

Height of bench for a belt grinder

LawnJockey

I just purchased a Pheer 2 x 72 grinder and I am going to have to buid a bench for it.  With that in mind what height should I make the work surface?  Generally I like making the work surface of a bench 36" but I am wondering if any of you have found another height that works better and why.

Thanks

The height is TOTALLY based on the proportions of YOUR body; not anyone else's in the whole world!  Hold a piece of steel in the brace position you like to use for hogging and measure that to the floor and figure that that is where your contact wheel should go and work from that.  If most of your time will be spent doing other work with it set it up so that you can use it the longest without fatigue.  You may very well want to experiment to come up with the best height for *YOU*.  (I have an uncle about the same height as me but he has incredibly short legs and a very long torso---his bench would be quite different in height and we are almost the same height!)

I have it sitting on a 28" high shop cart right now and that puts the platen tool rest at 38".  I am very comfortable doing most work at a 36" high bench but putting the grinder on such a bench would result in the tool rest being 46" which is way too high.  At 38" there is slight down slope from my elbows to hands which seems comfortable enough.  But what seems comfortable for a couple of minutes can often prove to be unbearable over longer periods.  If I was to raise it an inch or so my forearms would be closer to level and I think it would take a little more effort but the angle of my view of the work would be better. I am not quite sure how to balance these different factors for me thus the questions.  Maybe my question should have been what do you regret about the height of your belt grinder and why? 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎37‎:‎06‎, LawnJockey said:

I just purchased a Pheer 2 x 72 grinder and I am going to have to buid a bench for it.  With that in mind what height should I make the work surface?  Generally I like making the work surface of a bench 36" but I am wondering if any of you have found another height that works better and why.

Thanks

Whatever height is comfortable for you. Mine are at a height where I can use them while sitting on a chair, because razor grinding can take a lot of time and I don't want to keep standing and stress my back.

I ended up using a variation of TP's idea and it works great.  By the way, these grinders are great.  I was a little worried because they are so much cheaper than some of the others so I read every review I could find and took a chance and went for it.  The install went fine except I had to reverse a couple of wires because it was running in reverse.  The workmanship on mine is good and I have no complaints.