I Forge Iron

Post vise just acquired, age?

Wrangell

Just picked this post vise up. Have just started getting interested in the blacksmithing end of things. Anyway, this a Columbian made in USA but don't know anything else about it. The bracket has "20" on the bottom side of it. Jaws are 6" and guessing it weighs about 50lbs. Everything works good and there are no cracks anywhere on it. 

I know that there is no criteria for cleaning one up or not. I kind of like the patina look of a tool as long it is functioning as it should. There is a lot of history on some of these tools. It will eventually be installed in the shop I plan on building so cleaning it up will be done but don't really see a reason for painting it. 

Can anyone tell me how to determine the age of this vise. 

Post Vise.jpg

Cast or stamped mounting plate, simple U bolt bracket, no chamfering on the legs, plain screw box: mid 20th century stripped down design. Just a plain working tool.

From the Depression onwards, finish detail and eye appeal seems to have suffered. Most were in a race to eliminate any extra costs to stay in business in a shrinking market.