I Forge Iron

Buffalo 6" Vise

jumbojak

So I remembered this vise rusting away at our other farm. As you can see from the second picture the building it was under was in pretty sore shape. Much like the vise, at least that was what I was told. Some years ago it was left to rot after the screw was "stripped" and the vise wouldn't close any more. 

I figured that if it the screw was in fact stripped that I could find a replacement and get the vise back in working order. Well, working well enough for me to use it until I find a post vise for a reasonable price. Imagine my suprise when the jaws closed and aligned perfectly with only a few taps on the slide! Buffalo may have been an import brand from the seventies, but it's a big piece of metal and I'm happy to have it.

As it turns out, the screw is in nearly perfect condition. It was the screwbox that was causing all of the trouble - over the years the bolt holding it in place had loosened a few turns and left the screw in a bind. Now, I couldn't just use it in that condition so the entire unit has been disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. I still need to replace a few minor parts and retap a few holes but other than that it should be in good working order.

The next step, after reassembly, will be mounting. I keep going back and forth between inside the shed or outside mounted to a metal post bolted to a buried car wheel. I have a wheel and a piece of six inch pipe which would probably be the sturdiest mounting. Then again, I like the idea of being able to use the vise inside.....

IMG_20151019_175443_154.jpg

IMG_20151019_180203_710.jpg

IMG_20151019_203030_173.jpg

IMG_20151102_115700_643.jpg

Oh, I'll be gentle with her. If for no other reason than because everybody said the vise was no good for anything and that I was wasting my time. I want to keep that vise in working order for years, just to rub it in their faces. :)

With a little anti-seize she opens better than ever. Now I just need a name. Something catchy but unique without being too far out of the ordinary. Hmmm....