I Forge Iron

Should I clay my forge?

tonyw

So my cast iron forge pan gets reddish to high orange when I've got a big fire (like for welding) going? Would you all recommend claying it, or if I am careful can I go without clay? Would rammed pottery clay work?  Here's a couple pictures--the color balance is a little off as far as the color of the metal--it didn't get yellow. first picture with flash, 2 and 3 without

DSC_0173.thumb.JPG.35005077ccc9b14c06ce0

DSC_0175.thumb.JPG.59a5ea28cf76809e7cbf3DSC_0174.thumb.JPG.80abcd6bac409225c72fe

There are a number of mixtures, of clay and sand and fired brick dust etc. on this site for claying a forge.  Will it hurt no.  The heat shown will happen anyway, The main reason to clay is to lessen the thermal shock the casting experiences.  I had a new firepot that was cast iron and never worried about it.

I clayed my riveting forge years ago with clay from a dam on my farm, nothing special. I did let it dry for a few days, then started a small fire and heated it initially pretty slowly, then filled any cracks with more clay. It has worked fine.  In answer to your question, yes please clay it before it burns out the joints. 

Cheers 

Heelerau