I Forge Iron

Needed - Simple projects for tenons

Hi all.   I have a couple of students that I teach basic smithing to.  I will probably be doing a class in the next few days and I want to teach the making of tenons in this particular session, but I  would like to have some fairly simple project to actually use them in.  I don't do tenons much in my own work so I just can't seem to think of anything for my students to make utilizing tenons.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

simple plant hangers. I'm working up some in the next couple few weeks for the same purpose. Will do a couple different ones for the different skills/capabilities of the different students. As my classes can have a hugeeeeeeeee ability difference.

Plant hangers, sign hangers, brackets for shelves, etc. Candle holders with tenon into a saucer/cup.

Are you making monkey tools to square up the shoulders on the tenons?

Window grills, picture frames, shelf brackets, corbels for the mantle, sign brackets.  I would probably stick with smaller items that only require one tenon, like a candle stick of some design.  The whole thing can be made in one day if the students are reasonably adept.

Forgot trivets darn it, lol. Those thingies you put hot pots and pans on on wood tables and shelf thingies also.

The hold the shelf up thingies or do you put hot pots and pans on the shelves? Is that a good place to put hot pots?

Shelf hardware looks nice as do peg, coat racks.

Frosty The Lucky.

ROFL. I think I was and am still tired. Shelf thingies turns out are countertops. Shelf brackets are different. The hold the pots and pans thingies are like a type of trivet with no legs. Maybe I just think of trivets as for cooking with and am trying to rename the ones for after cooking. Heehee I'm too short to put hot pots and pans on the shelves, or is it the shelves are too high? Either way that'd be disastrous .......... for me and my feast.