I Forge Iron

Coil spring blanks

Pancho07

I have several coil springs. I've heard that not all springs are created equal. Does anyone have any experience with the helper springs from Redneck Trailer Supply? I think that they are made in Enid OK but other than that I know next to nothing. If they are no good then I will use them as proof of concept and other projects but if they are good for knives then I will carry on with they projects I have planned.

I personally haven't had any luck with calling companies and asking them what they use. I even tell them I don't have to know the exact alloy (everyone's so worried about trade secrets these days) and I tell them if they can just tell me what alloy is similar to what they use that's fine. I don't know if I'm lucky enough to have the biggest idiot answer or if they are just ignorant because they're never able to tell me anything.

Had the pleasure of picking up a coil spring from a chevy one time that broken to show where the rolling mill had folded the coil so there was a cold shut down the length,

Taught me to be cautious of any spring steel that I pick up that is broken or discarded.  I've got to figure that it came to me for a reason.

You have to get hold of the meteralergest or heat treat super, not the ding bat in costomer service. They will usualy tell you to heat treat to a sertain speck or "as if" problem is , who acualy made it for them? Did they speck the aloy or just that it meed USDot/internatianal specks? 

you are right of course, and my last call I got the ding bat in customer service. I asked him if he could connect me with someone with the info I needed and he put me on hold for five minutes just to come back and tell me he doesn't have numbers for anyone. I'll try them again one day and hopefully get better results.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live in Michigan where there were tons of independent factories doing contract work for the big three American car makers.  Stuff like bolts and nuts are often "subbed out" to surprisingly small operations.  Orders can range from a 10 minute run, to a multi-year deal. 

I have absolutely no idea how Redneck trailers conducts their business, but it's worth considering that springs are made in entirely different facilities than channel steel, or bolts.  It doesn't make much sense for smaller firms to make everything themselves.  A spring could easily be specified based on it's performance criteria rather than it's chemical makeup.  Why hire a materials engineer to design something as commonplace as a trailer spring?

My point is that it's not always so easy to answer an oddball question.  You're trying to use their spring to make something other than a trailer.  I fully appreciate where you're coming from but even if they gave you an answer, it would only be worth what you paid for it!