I Forge Iron

Found a 200# Bradley Compact

Found this guy about 5min. From my shop. It was used 15 years ago and has been owned by the same owner for decades. Belonged to the RR to ReSharpen chisels, until the late 50's. The owner is offering my some extra things, including a tire shrinker for wagon tires! It is on its side right now, but the machine shop it is in has a 10 ton gantry crane to pick it up and load it on a trailer with. Not sure what to do. Can't really afford it outright atm, but I do have credit! For the price it just seems too good to pass up. I have a seperate shop from my main shop I can run it in. Little iffy over motor size but he says he used to use it. Corner was broken off long ago, and they fabbed a bracket to hold it down there. Also it's hard to see, but the sow block is upside down. The rubber cushions were also replaced around the time it was last used 15 years ago.

20151019_154833.jpg

20151019_154840.jpg

20151019_154849.jpg

20151019_154853.jpg

20151019_155129.jpg

20151019_155137.jpg

Me too. And surprisingly....this thing is set to run at 300bpm.....my Murray 50# runs at that speed! It isn't by mistake either, the factory specs call for this to run that fast. Holy cow! I am anticipating moving a LOT of metal with this!

yay My reply box has returned!

Nice find Daniel.

Do you have any idea how much adjustment you will have between the dies for hitting larger pieces? I would be interested if someone knows, I have not seen a compact Bradley in the flesh. Would it be suitable for a set of dies that are multistation? it looks like it would handle off-centre striking quite easily.

I don't know 100% yet since I haven't used it yet, about adjustment, but from what I was told, it has a lot of adjustment for different thicknesses of work. I was also told that it is very suitable for multi-station. Infact a previous owner used it for just that.

I posted a video of the hammer going over a few things but this forum's bugginess has yet again kept me from posting content. It just reset after I hit reply with no post. Edit: nm, that will work

Video of hammer

Edited by DanielC

The story goes by the man I bought it from....he owned it in the 70's and sold it for a 5 year period or so. The man he sold it to passed away and he bought it back. He used wedges before he sold it, and this mod was done by the other person. He also said they weren't the same dies he had on it before either. I haven't got a good look at it yet, but perhaps these new dies aren't quite dovetails, and he had trouble getting then to stay. We shall see.

Edited by DanielC

This plate puts my hammer in the early 1900's, as that particular company went by that name from 1901 to like 1932. I also found out it is from the Southern Railroad in Spencer, NC (my area) - which was one of the biggest train repair shops for the Southern Railway of the time. Historic Pics from the shop I had also found. Havent found a pic of this running, though probably because it was just a toy compared to the larger hammer? Not many pics to be had, surprised I found these.

12063432_10153111004175009_8549658912384003430_n.jpg

12191543_10153111003965009_4879951689829292846_n.jpg

102786pr.jpg

forge_steam_hammer_small.jpg

Spencer blacksmith shop.jpg

Edited by DanielC