I Forge Iron

Propane burner design?

MLMartin

hey i have a propane forge ive been using it for about 3 years, and the burners on it stink, i mean pretty bad, did not know what i was doing when i made them, i have lurned alot about them since then, i plan on making some new ones now and want to build something similar to the T rex burners, i can see that it has a 3/4 neck, about 9 - 10 in long, also that it its lathed at the air intake, the bell that reduces to the neck, then welded to a larger pipe that has fore slotted holes, it has a sliding air cover, that back cap it just welded on, but how dose the back intake tighten to the little gas jet, its some kind of fitting that shrinks as it scrues in, and what type of tip is in the burner, a mig tip, what size, dose anyone have the blue prints to this burner?, i would like to just buy one for the man that makes it but an pretty hard on money

this thread on another forum shows my own 'journey' on the same problem, I got there in the end :)

not so hot gas forge - British Blades :: Custom Knife Making

Im sure the burner I built in this thread would be 90% as good without all the fancy machining. If you can get hold of Micheal Porters book on gas forges & burners it shows how to make the burner this one was based on, with off the shelf bits and no tools!

It seems that the best way to go is to make one using a Tweco 14T MIG tip. Once you decide to do that, seems like there are only a few different designs that tip can be used on (venturi type design - the gas nozzle must be on a pipe that sticks down the burner tube like in the picture on that Burner Choices page.)
venturi.jpg

Garey Ford's : BP0192 Gas Forge*-*I Forge Iron - Blacksmithing and Metalworking

DocsMachine's : http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/three-hour-forge-lots-o-pics-4021/

Mongo's from Reil's site.

I'm wondering if anyone has made one of the nanomongo or micromongo. Since the micromongo can burn hotter than the EZ burner, I'm thinking that the nanomongo will be fine for me.

**BTW.. I don't have a forge, haven't made a burner yet.. just going by what I have read.