I Forge Iron

Air/Hydraulic cylinder arms? scrap

I've been putting together a scrap pile and so far have aquired a few coil spring and two sets of leaf springs off an old Dodge pickup. There is an oprotunity for me to pick a few hydraulic and air cylinder arms. These are chrome plated and will be 1.25 to 3" in diameter. Does the chrome cause a problem and what would this type of scrap be used for.

Scott

Rams are usually a very tough material (over and above the hard chrome finish) and while I won't attempt to forge with them they can be very useful for shafts and especially as rollers etc. If you are getting them 'gratis '

Take them and store for use as 'other not for forging' .

Edited by ianinsa

The standard rod material for cylinders is IHCP. that is induction hardened, chrome plated and then ground. As IANINSA notes very good shafting. Not so good for forging. You can cut with an abrasive saw. Be aware that the surface with the Hard chrome, and the induction hardened case and core is harder than woodpecker lips and will dull any toothed saw. But great for shafts. You can if you have a lathe use a carbide tool and from the end enter the steel from about 0.015" under the chrome and turn the od. This will pop off the chrome and the hardest part. then you can drill for cotter pins or even thread the shaft. This is the method used when the shafts are made in the cylinder factories to allow threading of the already hard shafts.

These have a perfect finish at about 32 micro-inch for oil lubricating plain bearings and seals. Unless the shaft is scored don't polish as you already have a nearly perfect diameter and finsh for a shaft.