I Forge Iron

Smiths from NJ

If you aren't doing anything Saturday Oct 3rd. PABA ( Pennsylvania Artist Blacksmith Assn) October meeting is in Stroudsburg PA.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1512515985704633/

That's pretty close to Northern New Jersey. I think the meeting at Andrews shop is one of the better ones myself. I also take the opportunity to get my smithing coal while I'm up there as Peoples Coal is just a couple blocks down the street from his place and they have decent blacksmithing coal.

looks like we are playing the "forbidden " game again today.

You are welcome to come to meetings even if you aren't a member. I believe they prefer that only members forge for insurance reasons. However that isn't always the case as I know the June meeting is an open house type format where they encourage anyone to try their hand forging. What happens at a meeting changes from meeting to meeting, depending on facilities at hand and so on. The December meeting is a  Gallery meeting where everyone brings in something they made thru the year as opposed to a "shop" style meeting where they have an active forge. December meeting is also down past Philly in Paradise Pa so that's a hike possibly for you. The Facebook page usually has the meetings coming up as well as location information.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1619011711652531/

Most of the "shop" type meetings are usually some sort of demo. If after the demo, there's time often members can make use of the forge as many shops only have one forge. Andrews shop meeting in October is a bit different as he has two forges usually up and running. One for his demo, and one that can be used as a "teaching" forge where members can get help from others work on questions etc. The June meeting is another one where they usually have multiple forges up and running.

Edited by DSW

NJBA has been going through some hard times.  Our president passed away suddenly last year, and our web/newsletter person has been ill.  Our membership has been shrinking, and like all groups, it is hard to get anyone to do anything.

We are still active.  We have an open forge most Mondays in Howell, just off Rt 9.  We just have not had any big events for a while.  

PM for more information.

I would recommend the October meeting of PABA, I know I'll be there. The December gallery event isn't necessarily what most noobs are looking for. Either way, PABA is a great group of people and you don't need to be a member to attend any of the hammer-ins although you may be asked to do something else during the business portion of the meetings which don't typically take up much time. 

J

Welcome, depending on how far you wish to drive, some guilds that may be within driving distance include:

- Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland http://www.bgcmonline.org/

I highly recommend taking a course or two at the Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland, you can find further information about beginner and intermediate courses on their website.

- Central Virginia Blacksmith Guild http://cvbg.org/
- Blacksmith Guild of the Potomac  http://www.bgop.org/
- Mid-Atlantic Smiths Association http://masametalsmiths.org/
- Tidewater Blacksmith Guild  http://tidewaterblac....com/index.html

- Chesapeake Forge Guild meets at the Kinder Farm Park in Millersville http://www.chesapeakeforge.org/

- Philadelphia Blacksmiths Guild https://sites.google.com/site/stuarttheblacksmith/home/hammertymephilly-the-philadelpia-blacksmiths-guild

- New Jersey Blacksmith Association: ? /

- Pennsylvania Artist Blacksmith Guild: http://www.pabasite.org/

-

For a more complete list visit: http://www.abana-chapter.com/

j.w.s hopefully I'll make it and maybe I can get the chance to meet you. Best pict I can find of me right now. If you see me come introduce yourself. I'm Doug by the way.

I'm car-pooling with Stan Newcomer so I don't have much of a choice at this point.. lol .. I'll find ya if you're there! 

J

With all the rain they are calling for Friday thru Sunday, I may bail on trying to make it this time. I have a number of customers with basements that flood, so I may choose to be on standby in case I get a call to come out and help pump out a basement or try and stop the water from coming in. Shame the nice weather couldn't have held out for one more week.

This rain is messing up my work schedule big time right now.. Grrrr.

Meets vary depending on who is hosting them. February one this past year was in Mt Joy. April meeting was in Quakertown, June one was in Bethlehem and August was in Wernersville Pa....

I don't know about inclement weather. Never had that issue before. All the meetings are inside, though the August one is mostly outside.  As far as bringing your own gear, I guess if you want to try and forge if there is an opportunity and have a favorite hammer etc, it can't hurt to bring it along. Same would go with a small project you have a question about and would like input from someone else on. Mostly when I go I watch the demos and talk to those members I know, peruse the shop and look at what tooling, jigs they have for ideas, take picts of things for reference later etc.

2 years ago, I made it to the October meeting a bit early since I'd never been there before and while standing around waiting for the meeting to start Andrew asked if I'd mind striking for him. I've done minimal striking in the past, so I got a 10 minute "crash" course, then spent most of the meeting swinging an 8-10 lb sledge for the demo.

I'm still on the fence as far as Saturday. I really want to go, but I don't want to deal with a bunch of flooded roads in an area I'm unfamiliar with unless I have to. I also want to get half a ton or so of coal, and the only way to load my truck is to stand there and shovel it in the bin I'll bring. Did that last year in the rain and really don't want a repeat performance.  ( I hate being wet, and spending the rest of the day soaked including the 2 hr drive was less than fun...) Besides I don't feel like paying for a lot of water needlessly.

Meets vary depending on who is hosting them. February one this past year was in Mt Joy. April meeting was in Quakertown, June one was in Bethlehem and August was in Wernersville Pa....

I don't know about inclement weather. Never had that issue before. All the meetings are inside, though the August one is mostly outside.  As far as bringing your own gear, I guess if you want to try and forge if there is an opportunity and have a favorite hammer etc, it can't hurt to bring it along. Same would go with a small project you have a question about and would like input from someone else on. Mostly when I go I watch the demos and talk to those members I know, peruse the shop and look at what tooling, jigs they have for ideas, take picts of things for reference later etc.

2 years ago, I made it to the October meeting a bit early since I'd never been there before and while standing around waiting for the meeting to start Andrew asked if I'd mind striking for him. I've done minimal striking in the past, so I got a 10 minute "crash" course, then spent most of the meeting swinging an 8-10 lb sledge for the demo.

I'm still on the fence as far as Saturday. I really want to go, but I don't want to deal with a bunch of flooded roads in an area I'm unfamiliar with unless I have to. I also want to get half a ton or so of coal, and the only way to load my truck is to stand there and shovel it in the bin I'll bring. Did that last year in the rain and really don't want a repeat performance.  ( I hate being wet, and spending the rest of the day soaked including the 2 hr drive was less than fun...) Besides I don't feel like paying for a lot of water needlessly.

looks like the worst of it is going to miss us now.. just a little rain this weekend. :)

J

Guys from PA smiths, if any of the guys at a meet are selling a forge and forge blower let me know and send a few pictures if you can. I would build my own, but I figured that if everything is there for a good price, hey not get a ready made one. Also hat are the forges at your meets made of, and what is the construction of them?

Thanks so much

I have some picts from the Aug meeting in 2013 that shows a number of the forges members brought to that meeting. That meeting they usually have several forges up and running doing a bunch of different demos as well as having open forges so people can try forging.

Steve Genshiemer brought 2 or 3 of his little one burner Freon cylinder forges using the burner he sells. Also he brought his larger 2 burner  gas forge.

IMG_3876.thumb.JPG.cc68158f3b2773cb3fdd5

IMG_3914.thumb.JPG.3679f2546ea01a90d1eae

IMG_3877.thumb.JPG.abe0d23f14178cead342e

Andrew brought this side blast forge.

IMG_3879.thumb.JPG.d415ddaffedf5f721912a

IMG_3893.thumb.JPG.9e644fe9b75337a1e8f4e

Some one else brought this one to that meeting.

IMG_3881.thumb.JPG.026436f5cdbe3e866fdce

Last is a pict of one of the coal forges in Andrews shop from last Saturday. I don't have picts of his long gas forge that was in the shop.

DSCN5128.thumb.JPG.815eac1a1eb5fe87b6ccc

It seems I am bettermaybe fr tom Akers ya end forge then. I don't mind the labor cause I love that stuff, but if I want to make a nice forge like Andrews, it seems that the material cost will be high. I suppose a hand cranked blower can be made as well, but I am wondering if it will be worth the money and labor the time it is done.

Thanks for the photos

I'll have to take time in the near future to put the picts back into my forge build thread. Mine cost me about $50 originally. That was for the 1/2" plate I chose to use for the fire pot. I had some 1/4" I could have used, but chose to err on the heavy side since I know the heat was going to degrade the pot over time. Everything else originally was scrap finds saved up over time. I could have just as easily gone with a brake rotor and made something almost the same for just about free.

I'll admit that later I made the legs in one of my blacksmithing classes and that added "cost" to the whole thing, but I could have just used pipe legs or angle iron like they did above and still stayed below $100 total even with the 1/2" plate.

IMG_3265.thumb.JPG.51ba17b5ce353cfee0bae

IMG_4168.thumb.JPG.ba4004aa2bfc205456b3d

IMG_4356.thumb.JPG.b505d68aa9aa5a42444c4

IMG_3876.JPG

IMG_3914.JPG

IMG_3877.JPG

IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3893.JPG

IMG_3881.JPG

DSCN5128.JPG

Ok so I can use a rotor as my fire pit, but I will have to replace it eventually. I might consider making a hefty fire pot later on after the forge is built. For the table and side what gauge or thickness steel should I use, and where do you buy yours? Also if the third forge in the pictures you sent is yours, I really like it! If it is can you give me the dimensions of it cause I would like to model my forge after it, and are the sides angle iron? Lastly is there any special features on it like a clinker breaker?

Thanks so much

I don't know why it copied over the previous picts again...

Yes the 1st 3 picts are of my forge. 1st pict is the original incarnation.  3rd pict is after I added the legs and made a few small tweaks to minor things.  For example in the 3rd pict you can see the 2 pieces of 1/2" square tube I added to the bottom so I could slide in a stock support. My poor internet connection and forbidden is making posting tonight a nightmare. I did a thread on my forge build, but the picts no longer exist with the new upgrade to the site, so the thread is pretty useless. If I have a better connection tomorrow I'll try and repost that thread. I'll have to dig up my notes anyways for dimensions. I believe it was modeled on either a commercial forge made by Pieh or Centaur Forge. I took measurements from the ones in class to use as a rought design. Actual measurements were altered to fit materials on hand some though.

I did do a clinker breaker when I built it. Of all the parts, it's probably the one I'm least happy with. If I was going to redo it, I might just buy a clinker breaker from Pieh or Centaur and not bother trying to build my own. I'd buy that 1st, then build the firepot/tuyre around it's dimensions. The clinker breaker isn't required though. You could  make do with just a grate if you wanted. Sides on mine are 3 1/2" x 1/8" flat bar. Originally we were going to use it as flex forms for concrete but we came up with a better solution to that problem. I can't remember if we originally bought it as flat stock or if it was steel landscape edging. I know we used both when trying to figure out what worked best. Angle iron would work also and might be easier if you have limited fab skills.

I'll Pm you some more info in a bit.

• 4 weeks later...