I Forge Iron

Dacian Falx

matei campan

hello

here is a Dacian "falx" replica, made for a reenactor friend. the blade is made after the measurements and look of a blade found in the history museum of my home-town. I had to figure out the handle. this weapon was a two handed weapon. so I imagined the handle in a way that was confirmed later by a picture of an image found on Trajan's column in Rome, a column covered with scenes depicting the war of the Romans vs Dacians. the blade is around 55cm long. the handle is wild pear wood with iron bolster and end cap.

falx1_zpsvkq5nv4m.jpg

falx2_zps6zgmhmfk.jpg

falx3_zpsgjqeus0i.jpg

and here's the Trajan's column photo

Falx_on_Trajans_column_zpsyuwt6isu.jpg

I love the recreation!  It is delightful to see such work devoted to the other side of Roman conflicts.  I would love to see other objects of the same period that were non-Roman.

History in the US is more about Romans and nothing about the peoples they subjugated.   I like the use of Pear wood in the handle and the Iron Bolster and Cap.

I know that the book exists and I've seen copies of it but never had a chance to read it.   Local libraries are not big books like that.I just checked amazon and it is not currently available.    I've never had the opportunity to study that era of sword making.I had an excellent book on wootz  steel archeology  and The classic samurai  sword book but they went to a friend when I go divorced.

If I run across it "The Celtic Sword"  I will certain grab it.

Should be able to ILL it for a local library if you are in the USA.  *LOTS* cheaper than trying to buy stuff like the Knight and the Blast Furnace, the Celtic Sword, etc.  BTW the Celtic sword is much more on the metallography of the blades than say the Sword in Anglo Saxon England was (and much newer research.)

Should be able to ILL it for a local library if you are in the USA.  *LOTS* cheaper than trying to buy stuff like the Knight and the Blast Furnace, the Celtic Sword, etc.  BTW the Celtic sword is much more on the metallography of the blades than say the Sword in Anglo Saxon England was (and much newer research.)

This is an amazing resource people overlook. If your local library can't get it for you (and sometimes they can't due to funding limits; for example, my library can only order items from in state), see if there's a local college nearby that gets state funding. Most of these schools are also open to the public (your tax dollars at work), and the majority of them are part of WorldCat (a way to order books from around the world). Policies vary from school to school about whether or not they can order books from other libraries for community patrons, but it's worth looking into in order to see books before spending an arm and a leg on them.

Sorry, I'm a librarian, so this is a knee-jerk reaction for me to help.

Yes!  There is a book that I had a 2 year open book search on amazon and abebooks and could not get a copy; yet I could go to the library in Socorro NM---not a burgeoning metropolis by any stretch of the imagination---and ILL a copy to have for 3 weeks for US$1

I drink a toast to Benjamin Franklin!