I Forge Iron

Hello from central IL

jwsk91

Hi I'm jwsk91 also known as James.  I'm from illinois between springfield and St. Louis.  I literally just started getting into blacksmithing, as in maybe 3 months ago.  Im specifically interested in bladesmithing atm but am ok with learning pretty much anything about metalworking. I recently decided I wanted to learn to create something that others could use and appreciate, even if its just a decent pocketknifel lol.  Well that's all I got I guess. Thanks in advance for any future tips, tricks, or general advice

Welcome aboard James, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance. Telling us in the first or any post isn't going to work, we're not going to remember after we open the next post.

I've got about the same advice for newcomers who want to make blades as always. If you want to forge blades learn to forge before you start making blades. Learning to be proficient as a blacksmith is a pretty involved learning curve. It's a little knowledge and a LOT of practice. Every project, no matter how large or complex is a series of basic process in the correct order. Once you have a good handle on forging learning to forge blades is only learning to adapt to a new material and a couple specific techniques.

Trying to do both at once is multiplying your learning curve by more than double, it's much harder and failure prone than learning them one at a time in order.

We like pictures, projects, tools, equipment, shop, landscapes, pets, family, about anything you'd let a 9 yr old look at.

Frosty The Lucky.