I Forge Iron

Blowers

Clay

Well, I worked my first piece of iron today. But I was having some trouble with the blower, I was using a hairdryer but it wasn't getting the steel past cherry. Then I upgraded to a leaf blower and started getting somewhere, bright yellow. But I can't seem to find a good permanent blower. No one around here carries any squirrel cage fans. Any suggestions on where to look or another type of fan I can use?

You can find a squirrel cage fan in many places, whole house forced air furnaces, machines that need cooled, copy machines, automobile heaters, fire place blowers, laundry dryers, etc. You can find bladed fans in refrigerator evaporators, and machinery.

Visit a HVAC heating and cooling business as they replace a lot of blowers. The air movers are out there, and are being thrown away.

You can purchase new blowers from blacksmithing supply, farrier supply stores, and places such as Graingers and others industrial supply dealers

I use a fan unit that I got used from a HVAC/plumbing company. It's a contained squirrel cage type blower from a heating unit or furnace. It puts out all the air I can use. I tried a "dimmer switch" set up, but now use an air gate to control the volume of air.

These type of fans are everywhere....look in the phone book for local HVAC guys.

Steve