I Forge Iron

yves

It was an important commission for me, my first big one. I was lucky to have a client who dared choose this design. On installation day, I was also commissioned to forge a replacement for the wooden columns. 

View from the east.

P1040195.thumb.jpg.6b9e7665b66a87b743c69

In the sweet morning light.

P1040236.thumb.JPG.4e895881fa113e52faebc

A view from one stair.

P1040193.thumb.jpg.5978b79da6d3b26e35b1c

A view from the other stair.

P1040202.thumb.JPG.20a7f5baf2579312e017c

Details.

P1040206.thumb.JPG.f7118f63fe6b80418323f

Details will be added : herbs will come out of the hand rails.

P1040207.thumb.JPG.b1da73884cb3e18edf18b

P1040209.thumb.JPG.085079f7100755303c4ba

P1040208.JPG

Wow, just wow.... great work. Just for my knowledge, how long did it take you to do the complete work?

I would rather not remember or think about how long it took.

When you are working on something like this and you like it and think it's beautifull stuff and you want to please the client and all the people who will see this work ...  so when you forge, you add a detail here and there, you review the curve of this piece and change the twist and deepen the crease in this herb and ... 

So all I can say, is that time wise, I took the opportunity given to me to forge such a design and took all the time necessary to showcase what I could do. So I lost track of time because I was also working for myself (pride) when I forged this.

And I forgot to mention the time I spent fighting my anguish that it would not fit which it did without any problem.

Edited by yves
I forgot

That is a piece worthy of a *LARGE* check at completion; I did think the scroll work areas look a bit odd---perhaps a few "tendrils" reaching into it and twining around a few pieces to "bring it in" to the "burgeoning nature" look?   I'm sure you should receive more such commissions!  (a coworker walked past my cube, stopped and said---"that's beautiful!")

Thomas,

I thank you for the compliments and happy to get them. I realy comitted myself in this ... commission.

The client supplied a picture of the scroll work. It is a classic type (often seen) of scroll work in France. This one was from a window hand rail. I was not interested in forging this type of work around that balcony. I told the client and she asked me to come up with a proposition. I did, she bought it but she wanted the scroll work and the herbs. So I did try to link the two by making it look like an invasion of the tendrilled herbs, like the garden had been cleaned and these bits and  pieces remained. The client was happy enough that on installation day I got the commission to forge braces (I believe this is the word) to replace the (cheap) existing wooden columns. This ought to be easier ... or not ...

Thanks again.

Thomas,

This is the sketch I'm fooling around with. A bouquet .. sort of. 

55f1fb8431120_jambe_de_force_MH.thumb.jp

The canopy the columns are holding is pretty heavy, I assume as I have no way of finding out. I thus have to use quite a few anchors in the wall.

3/8" x 1" flat bar would be quite elegant, permit graceful curves in the branches. All these branches would be riveted and welded on a frame (3/8" x 2", perhaps) that would be bolted in the wall and under the canopy.

As you probably have guessed, I'm using my answer to your post to think out loud ... I'm living with this.

Perhaps something a bit more like a G rune?  In general to support weight you need something going out near the tip and running straight back to the lower end as bends allow for spring which can be rough on structures.  I would suggest designing the structural parts first and then adding the ornamentation to it.