I Forge Iron

Interesting local find

The three men photographed the objects, continued upstream to the general area of the Cades Cove Bloomery Forge to see if any other artifacts could be found, then returned to the site of their discoveries.

Then, McCarter, a member of the CCPA Board of Directors, glanced upstream about 10 feet and saw an even more exciting sight: the forge hammer, projecting two to three inches above the water. Normally it would have been hidden beneath the waters of Forge Creek, McCarter said.

Really, the pictures from the paper weren't that outstanding. I'll keep an eye on the www in case they pop up.

Common sense tells you that this would be an exciting find, particularly for the preservation of the local history. But you have to remember that this is a National Park... federal, that is. I'm afraid that there will be a covert and guarded escavation, the ground will be repaired, and that's the last we will hear of it. Much of my ancestory comes from this region, so I've always been interested in the place. It just seems that there has been a consorted effort by the NPS to remove all reminders of the 19th & 20th century inhabitants and restore everything to its "primal" state.

If this were a good State park, they might actually persue a reconstruction project for the old bloomery and hammer mill. But as it stands, the site will probably be replanted in native ferns.

Oh well,

Don