I Forge Iron

How useful is a treadle hammer?

I've got the plans to build a Clay Spencer in line treadle hammer.  As a knifemaker I haven't had much need for a striker or a lot of tooling.  I am however moving into a bit of decorative work and branching into axes and hawks.

I've got a H frame hydraulic press I built, a 50 pound tire hammer.  The press and the power hammer really compliment one another.  I'm thinking of building the in line treadle hammer to act as a helper or striker with tooling.  I could use the press on some of it, but it's real easy to go to far to fast with the press, even with stop blocks.  I designed and build the press for damascus work and to turn large billets into smaller billets that the hammer draws out.  I'm thinking where normally a blacksmith would have a helper strike while he holds a top fuller over a bottom die the treadle will take the place of this.

Or am I just wanting to add more gadgets to the workshop?

Personally I never found a use for one, and everyone I tried just felt awkward. But the more I look at doing chasing and repose the more I think I might actually have to use for one. However if I built one it would probably be closer to one of the sit down style treadle hammers where the work is at a comfortable height and the top hammer leaves plenty of room for your hand and top tools.

J

I use my treadle hammer almost daily - but like anything, you have to think about incorporating it into your work.  I tooled mine primarily for decorative work and to hold every die set that can go into my power hammer.  I built mine to the old ABANA plans and I like it just fine - have no plans to go to an inline or anything else.

If you have a striker available or a power hammer with a lot of clearance, you may not get much use out of a TH - but they are the cat's meow for single hard hits or repetitive work like setting rivets.

Dieing with the most toys makes you the winner.. :) why else would I have a shop with 750 sq feet more than I actually need? Lol

J

If you have more space than you need, you obviously need to add more stuff to fill it with. The average persons shop is already too small the day they move in, no matter how much bigger they made it. :D

If you have more space than you need, you obviously need to add more stuff to fill it with. The average persons shop is already too small the day they move in, no matter how much bigger they made it. :D

if you saw the hovel I was working in you'd understand why I'm keeping some walking around room now. :) and I'm still not used to this whole multiple forges running full tilt at the same time and it only being 74.5F in here. 

J

Greetings Will,

I personally love treadle hammers. I have 3 and use them all the time.  To some a Stradivarius violin is just a wood box. In the right hands it will make beautiful music. The same is true with treadle hammers.. Only as good as your tool making and skill level.

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Thanks, from what I'm thinking, I won't use it that much, but when I do it'll let me work by myself without needing a striker and will be very useful at times.

My press gets a lot of use, but it's an H frame with only about 7" of clearance between the dies.  Also on delicate work it tens to be too slow and to really squish things.  The power hammer is a clay spencer tire hammer and works great for turning large stock into smaller stock, but single hits are not that accurate, either too hard or too soft.  Not to mention there's enough play in it to make really accurate top and bottom tools just a bit off.  Though I have made a few spring tools for it.