I Forge Iron

Fire Basket and Companion Set

Hello
I have just finished a commission for this fire basket and companion set. The companion set is quite large, stands 1m tall (40 inches) and will compliment a very large fireplace! The broom I made from local heather. I used cast components for the feet of the basket, (I find upsetting, well, upsetting!!) and for collars on the stand for the set, and steel balls for the ends of the set and tops of the basket. You can call it cheating if you like, I don't mind. (Or you could call it creative use of odds and ends lying around, as I like to believe!!).

My customers were very happy with it - which makes me happy!
Just thought I would share.

Colleen

4479.attach

4480.attach

Thank you all.

I had a hard time finding an appropriate broom to compliment this set. My customers definitely did not want your run of the mill poly-bristle brush, and picked out an image on the net of a woven corn (husk?) broom from the states. I like to keep things local but couldn't find anyone making something similar.. so I read up about ye olde craft of broom tying, which is apparently, a relatively dying art in these parts. I did my homework and prodded my local museum man who showed me some old heather brooms he had, which were works of art in themselves. And so I made it myself...

Thanks also Apprenticeman... although I think 'firegirl' is someone else on this site!
The basket is an example of simple yet effective! Its actually a departure from my normal style of work- (scrolls, sprials, assymetrical) and was almost more a piece of fabrication rather than forging, although all the spikes are forged.

Anyway, great to have feedback.

Colleen

Very nice, a bit heavy for my taste, but still well done. And using prefabbed components is NOT cheating. Heck, the way the economy is, sometimes it's easier to sell a project where you "tweak" prefabbed components than it is if you make all the components yourself... It's not "traditional" but it keeps things going.
-Aaron @ the SCF

Thanks again everyone...

Sorry for the delay in replying, have been caught up in last minute Christmas details- everything is almost sorted, now I just have to touch base with good old St. Nick regarding the children's stockings....

hmmm, Glenn, a Blueprint? I am one of these people who don't make plans, I generally work from a rough sketch and measure and cut as I go. With this fire basket I started out with a template of the floor area of the hearth, and then measured and cut to fit - first making a sort of frame, then ''filling it in''. I know that sometimes working this way has it's downfalls, and that I *should* actually make a planned drawing but I just never do for something like this... (I am also the kind of person who assembles flat packed furniture without reading the directions etc.)

easily confused - perhaps I will write a wee bit on the broom tying info that I learned- I did actually search in this forum but didn't find anything so perhaps it would be useful for others too. watch this space...

Aaron, Yes, I can justify the use of components, time is money etc, and I have children to feed- and my clients were happy with the work so in this case, good result all around.

There is a whole debate about this issue I know so I won't go on!!!

Right, off to wrap presents...
Merry Christmas all
Colleen