I Forge Iron

Millers falls tool anvil

Staff85

Hello 

I'm new to blacksmithing and looking to get started. I've been looking for an anvil for a little while now and I've finally found one. I have heard of Miller's fall tool before but not there anvils does anyone have any information. It seams to be around 60# or so and in ok condition. The gentlemen would like 75$ for it. Is it worth buying?

Not seeing it and not being familiar with that brand, it's a bit hard to say 100%. However if it looked to be in decent condition, I'd certainly buy it at that price and I don't even really need an anvil that size. I know I could find someone new to the hobby who would be happy to get a semi decent anvil at that price.

Millers Falls made drills and planes, but they also had a cast iron anvil/vise combo that they made. Sometimes people lose the half of the jaws that open and try selling them as anvils. If that's what you're looking at, look elsewhere.

memoryplease refresh my memory .. the ball bearing test is?

Welcome aboard Hal, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Drop a ball bearing from a given height and eyeball estimate how far it rebounds. You can use a ruler if you wish but an eyeball estimate is usually close enough. You're looking for something around 75% or better, much less isn't really anvil material.

If it's a combo vise anvil tool it's not good as an anvil more than straightening nails and such.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty