I Forge Iron

Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley Blacksmiths

Hello everyone, I'm a new blacksmith and I was wondering if there were any clubs, organizations or individual blacksmiths around the SFV/LA area that help out beginning blacksmiths. 

I've looked around for quite a while now, and I have not had much luck. I tried the Orange county blacksmiths and they were absolutely great, but they were quite far away and the frequency of their lessons was somewhat slow. I know of Adam's forge which is right near me, but their prices are much too high.

So if anyone knows of any other places or people, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks.

Adams Forge is basically my home forge, I try to get out there as much as I can for the classes that interest me.  At the very least it is worth taking the discovery day to get some basic technique instruction and meet some other smiths in person.  I know several of the instructors there live in the LA area, but I don't know if they host students at their home shops.  Interested to see if anything else surfaces north of LA as I live in Ventura and the teaching forge landscape is pretty bare between LA and north of SLO.  Go to www.calsmith.org and join the California Blacksmith Association, it's a reasonable fee, the publications are interesting, and it will hook you up with all the CA goings on.  Some great events coming up in a few months that are well worth attending!

forgot to mention welcome aboard!  Great to see another southern Californian on the boards :)  hope to run into you at a class or event in the future.

Good luck!

Maybe it'll let me post this time. I grew up in Sylmar, moved to Simi 11 days after the 71 Sylmar quake. Didn't have any contact with smiths back then farriers only and Dad made sure I wasn't around when he had the horses shod.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. I'm crossing my fingers now and hitting submit.

Frosty The Lucky.