I Forge Iron

Another nooby question

Emower

I have found and read many posts about claying forges, but I am not real sure about fire pots. Does this forge need a fire pot or was is used as is? Obviously I would have to fabricate a grate to hold fuel out of the blower if I don't need a fire pot. I am in the process of restoring this forge. The original Canady Otto catalog does not mention a fire pot for this forge, but that doesn't mean I don't need one. I am real new to the noble art of smithing, and I don't want to do something stupid and crack this forge. 

image.jpg

Edited by Emower

That'd be a duck's nest instead of a fire pot. When you clay it make a depression leading down to the fire grate and you're golden. Don't get fancy with the grate either just lay some 1/2" rd. bars next to each other with a little something to hold them apart, say 1/4" nuts, etc. You can weld it up but it's not necessary. A bar grate is nice in a couple ways my favorite is how easy they are to clean. Just scrape lengthwise with the point of your fire rake and the clinker will knock right out.

Another good thing about a duck's nest is it's adjustability you can easily change it's shape and size by arranging fire bricks around it. A fire pot on the other hand is a real PITA to make larger, longer, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

The siplest grate I have seen (shourt of cast iron floor drain grates) is a peice of 1/2 bent in an exagerated "S" to fit a 2 to 8" addapter as a a fire pot. But a pipe cap that will fit over the top of your tuyreer with a 3/4" hole in the middle will work as will a large washer. On 3/4" hole will make a 6" fire ball.