I Forge Iron

Just picked up this little Hay Budden

Picked up a little Hay Budden off Craigslist Friday during my lunch break. Couldn't see a weight marking, but he guessed it at 100#. It weighs 96# on the scale at work. This is the roughest anvil I have bought, but it may just look worse than it is. The top is fairly dented, but a straight edge across the top shows the dents to be fairly shallow, and radiused. Shouldn't affect most work. The edges are rougher end to end. Radiusing the edges might get into the base under the plate. I would post a pic, but I have not been able to post any lately.....:angry:

The serial number appears to be 312101. No prefix letter that I can see. On the back left foot there is a number ?5 can't make out the first one. Were some marked for weight there? Could be 95? 

The guy I got it from had it given to him by an elderly gentleman in his 80's who was cleaning out his hanger. He saw him working in the heat, and offered to help him out. It took about 4 hours, and he was given a few things in appreciation. We are going to meet next week as he mentioned that he was also offered a lot of steel to take, but declined since scrap dropped to 1/2¢ , yes one half of a cent, a pound last month. That is a good thing for smiths! 

Debating on quickly running a belt sander across the top to see how it might dress up.  The edges could use a bead run down them, and a radius job to make this one a lot nicer. But we'll try it out fist to see how it does now.

Anyhoo, for $100 it wasn't bad. 

I have been unable to get any pictures to upload for about a week now, I keep getting an error message. 

I wasn't looking to sand it much, just a fast dusting it to see where the highs, and lows are in relation to each other.  I am a big proponent of use it till you see what it really needs. This top is just a bit more dented than my other anvils, and I want to see where the best spots are to work on.

The first number is close to the edge, and it definitely looks like a 3,not a B. The top edge is more like a z than rounded like a B.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR