I Forge Iron

Clinker Breaker Design

Merry Christmas fellow Smiths. It has been a while since I posted here. It is good to be back.

I am currently building a new coal forge and plan to add a clinker breaker to my firepot more as a way to clean and adjust the airflow more than anything. Does anyone have a good drawing of a clinker breaker construction or close up photos they can refer me to? It is good to be back again. Thank you. Chris.

I made one by taking a piece of 1-1/2 round and swatting it in a larger swage so it came out oval, then drilling a hole through the center. I could either set it 'open' or 'closed' depending on the fire (closed meant about 3/8 gap on the sides, open meant about 3/4 gap). You can also drill a hole off-center in a piece of round stock so rotating the handle cams it up or down.

I too will be fabricating a coal forge soon. It is for my son and I was shooting for Christmas. I am kind of hung on the clinker breaker as well. Try as I may, I can't seem to navigate to the pictures mentioned. (Newbie) Could you show me the way? I go to "Galleries" then "Smithys" to no avail. While bungling, I bumped into an index including "Forges", looked through it, didn't see Sam, and moved on. Now I can't find that index again.... Anyhow, I will at least be following this thread. Thanks, MIKE

I read an interesting historical blacksmith book on line (I don't remember the title, sorry) This blacksmith advocated using a horizontal pipe with holes drilled in it and not use a clinker breaker with this design. One can adjust the length of fire by opening up or plugging holes in the pipe. The pipe should run all the way through the forge so you can use a poker type device to punch out any ash that may fall in. He spoke of a clinker breaker as an unnesecary(SP) complication caused by design of our fire pots.

I have seen forges like this in the ruins of blacksmith shops in the western hard rock mining regions. These blacksmith shops were very busy busing and heavily utilized sharpening hundreds of drilling bits per day so the design must have some merit.

I can not vouch for the pipe design myself but it is interesting enough to give me pause and think about the concept.

A good friend of mine recently converted his forge to a side blast by simply making a wall of fire bricks on one side and sticking a 1" or 1.5" diameter pipe out from the wall. Easy to replace if it happens to burn off. So far, after several weeks it is still doing fine. It works great and it is easy for 2 or 3 or 4 smiths to have an iron in the fire and not get in each others way too much.

I tried the tube type grate in my first forge. I got tired of the holes and slots filling up with clinker. I'd have to pretty well tear the fire apart to get the holes unplugged. For a clinker breaker, I used a piece of 2" round, chucked it in the lathe and drilled a hole through it lengthwise. I then used the 7" angle grinder to grind the round cross section into a somewhat lobed triangular cross section. when the triangle sits pointed side up, I get a fairly concentrated fire, when it sits flat side up, the fire spreads out more. I used a forge once that had the more flat type of clinker breaker mentioned here, and personally noticed no real difference, and since the flat seems a little simpler to fabricate, I'll probably go with that design next time. Never using the pipe/tubing grate style again though.
-Aaron @ the SCF

Clinker depends of the impurities in the coal or solid fuel. Some breaks up easily, some not so easily.

I use two different type of coal in my forge, one that produced little or no clinker, and the other that makes wonderful clinkers, the stuff that starts rumors and legends. With some of the clinker being the size of your fist, usually hooking out the clinker works best. YMMV

Aww-- clinkers, sometimes something just needs to be heated for straightening or bending so I don't use my "good WV coal"--I use the stuff I have salvaged from coal bins in some of the older homes here that make some good sized clinkers. I try to fish them out in as big a chunk as I can--let them cool--dip them in future acrylic floor finish and after drying, present them as dragon droppings. They go quick.