I Forge Iron

First knife...

Urthman

Great looking knife Urthman! I enjoyed reading your posts because they show that you're trying different things! You are 100% right about asking knife makers about tempering. I can get ten opinions from three guys all in the same conversation. My best results always come from trial and error. It's always a trade off for me between edge retention and toughness. If the blade will be used for flesh I dont worry too much about flex, if it's going to be a chopper or camp type knife I try to make a pry bar with a R54 edge. 

Thanks for the tip about the pipe to tame the temp swings in the oven. I'm using a toaster oven with some refractory added and I've never trusted the actual temp settings on the controls. Time to add an oven thermometer!

Again, Great looking knife!

Thanks TC!  Yeah, I was amazed how much the pipe "calmed down" the oven temp swings.
I use one of those remote thermometers that has a 'stick' probe on a 3-foot wire, so the probe can lay right in the pipe.
Not very expensive- plus I already had one that I use for all my outdoor grillin'

I get what you're saying about knife flex.  After a bit more testing, I think I'll have a lot more trust that the processes are doing what they're supposed to. :)

Pretty much finished- ready to wax and sharpen.

I light-sanded to let some of the grain show through the ebonizing, then went with a Tru-Oil finish (8 coats).

All in all, I'm quite pleased with it.  And already started designing my 2nd knife- a small 'woodcarver' for my son.

Thanks all for the feedback and advice!

knife22.JPG

knife24.JPG

knife25.JPG

joshknife2.JPG