I Forge Iron

well i went to the steam show today in Seagertown and decided to make my way over to the flea market. To my surprise there was this nice hay budden farriers(?) anvil. i probably paid  little to much for it but i still ended up at around $3 a pound including gas to drive down and paying to get in so i dont think i did too bad. has great rebound and ring, was told it weighed 145lbs but im not entirely sure since i havnt put it on a scale yet and its pretty hard to read the markings on it.

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

Nice score Mark, she's a beauty. What Pete was suggesting about the block is for the time you'll find yourself needing a crisp edge or clean radius. The time will come, believe me, setting a shoulder without making a cold shut is pretty basic to the craft.

To add something constructive to Pete's suggestion I've found that trying to put the shank under a bottom tool is more hassle than it's worth. What I do instead is weld it to the side or one end. With a little forethought this allows me to put one edge of the bottom tool right on the edge of the anvil for clearance. OR off set the impact zone over the center of the anvil for best effect.

Hmmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...