I Forge Iron

Vice stand

Sam Salvati

Sorry for the cruddy picture, but here is a vice stand i fabbed up. The base is 2 peices of 15 inch long by 8 inch wide 1/4 thick flat plate, welded in a T. Upright is 2 inch square 1/4 thick wall tubing left over from the treadle hammer:D(I love recycling). The vice can be removed, but the fit is very tight so it takes a little smack with a hammer. It is a slightly light base, but it works well because as you stand on it it makes the stand instantly as much as you weight(in my case 208 pounds). The little spur on the bottom of the vice sits in a hole drilled in the plates, VERY STURDY.

4379.attach

Sam-If you are like most of the blacksmiths I know (especially me) your vise and stand will just keep getting heavier over the years (that is, when you are standing on it :D).
Looks like it would be easy to make it where you could bolt/unbolt from the leg of your forge.

First pic we have seen of your forge in awhile. Looks like you are getting it broken in!

Hey Sam,
Looks good. Simple, but good. I'd agree with what Steve said above though. My stand probably weights upwards of 150-200 pounds, and I weigh 220 pounds (according to my driver's license anyways;) ). It works great for twisting 1/2" hot. However, when my brother and I tried removing a rusted trailer ball from a hitch mount with a 36" pipe wrench I had a bit of a scary moment when the side of the vise stand I was standing on came up off the ground with me in tow. Apparently the force exerted by my 220 lb brother, on a 3 ft. lever (that maybe had a short cheater bar attached...) was greater than the force of me standing on the base:) Ideally I think the perfect vise stand would be a chunk of steel about 8 inches by about 12 inches and as tall as the mount of the vise. Of course, you'd need an overhead crane to move it around efficiently.....
-Aaron @ the SCF

:D, an aoutomatically upgrading vice stand, i like that:). yup Steve, getting it broken in real fine, works GREAT! Just worked over a few sword blades in it today, it did an excellent job. I'll have to get some shots of her in operation:D.

HAHA Aaron! Your brother must be a brute! My dream vice stand would be a section of well pipe, sunk about 6 feet into the gorund coming up to be level with the floor. Inside would fit another peice of well pipe with a flange welded to the bottom with holes drilled all around it, with another flange welded round the peice sunk into the ground. The vice would be mounted to the inner pipe, and could swivel all around in a copmplete circle, with a pin/pins being able to be used in the flanges(with holes) to lock it in whatever position you want.

Gday Sam,

I sunk a post in the ground about 2.5', its don't move when packed down good and hard, but you can't move the vice around. However.......
I have managed to "loosen" the 1/2" coach screws that I fixed it with :)
you get that with twisting and hammering on 11/4"*1/2", especilly if you let it cool too much :) Doh.

I like your vice stand by the way.

Regards
Rusty_iron
Brisbane, Oz.

Thanks guys:D. The idea is not mine but an idea of a friend of mine, i modded it a little for a post vice but it is basically the same idea. He has the LARGEST machinists vice i have ever seen, weighs in about 150+ pounds with massive jaws.

OH YEAH i forgot to mention, make sure you cap off the top of the pipe with a tool tray or something, you don't wanna be fishing for tools 6 foot under:D.