I Forge Iron

I did a brass melt last week and cast a 4# hammer head. I cut the pattern with a wire foam cutter and cut my initials in it with my CNC router. Rammed it up in greensand with a core made from sand and sodium silicate. I got the metal a little hot and, yes, it smoked and had some flames. I put some charcoal on top to cut the flames and let it set to cool before I poured. It came out a little better than expected, cleaned it up and put it on a hickory handle. This was zinc brass with 70% copper and 30% zinc. I like to cast Brass and Bronze and hope to cast some more Iron this fall. It sure is too hot right now to do much in the shop. I've been casting for several years and worked in a steel mill. I use PPE and stay away from the fumes.

010.jpg

016.jpg

005_2.jpg

004_2.jpg

How big did you make the eye?  I need to do this in my "copious" free time;-) I have a bad habit of hitting with a copper mallet WAY too hard, and Way too deep when I am striking a tool... Very bad habit.  I think I would make the eye to fit a sledge handle and cut it down for a hand hammer.  If you can't retrain yourself to do it right, at least find a work around so you can keep doing it wrong;-)  I am still trying to retrain myself, but its hard to talk to the lizard brain...  Muscle memory just takes over and the deed is done.

I had the handle and just drew a pattern from the end if it and cut it from the foam. I had to try it a couple times to get the handle to fit into the foam. Then I used the foam to make the core. I guess I didn't get a picture of the core mold. I had to use a round file to form the eye so it fit well into the head. If I make another one, I think I'll try to make the hourglass shape in the core instead of trying to file it in later. It was a lot of filing.

012.jpg

Edited by Jammer

• 3 months later...