I Forge Iron

Magnetite Smelt 2015

Thanks Daniel good video, even the music fit. I have a thought about the consolidation process on the block. I'm thinking if one fellow backed (bucked) the bloom on the opposite side the other fellow struck you could maintain a more spherical shape and not lose as much to the edges crumbling.

Of course that's just the opinion of someone who's never even watched in person but I can't help thinking.

Thanks again. Frosty The Lucky.

This bloom is crumbly due to carbon content, not much can be done of the breaking. Most of the crumbling off is also bloom fluff which is a mixture of slag and iron/steel which you want to come off. If you see some of the other videos, we are always knocking off thick layers. That's the bloom fluff and is meant to come off.

The bloom fluff is collected and used for Evenstad hearth refining, and also collected until we have a good 60-70# to do a re-melt. Re-melts usually make some really wicked high carbon material. Pretty fun those.

Considering I had similar thoughts and questions when I started this sort of apprenticeship back in  2013, I know where you are coming from. It's hard enough wrapping your mind around it when you see it in person. It took me about 5-7 smelts before I felt confident enough about the process. Going on to around 15 smelts now before I feel I have any authority over information. Still a ways to go before I am at Mark's, or Lee's level.

Yeah, this isn't the kind of thing guys who don't have ideas are likely to be very good at. A person has to be able to adapt to different things and there must be changes requiring adjustments all the time. Like you say  you have to be able to read it all and the only way to learn that is by doing it.

Wish I lived closer.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, this isn't the kind of thing guys who don't have ideas are likely to be very good at. A person has to be able to adapt to different things and there must be changes requiring adjustments all the time. Like you say  you have to be able to read it all and the only way to learn that is by doing it.

Wish I lived closer.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, get real, you're not far(comparatively speaking that is):D   It does look like fun though! What else would a foreigner want to NC for?

Frosty, get real, you're not far(comparatively speaking that is):D   It does look like fun though! What else would a foreigner want to NC for?

Get real yourself, I wish I lived closer to the local coffee shop and it's 5 minutes from here. :rolleyes: Heck, you're probably better acclimatized to NC than I am, 100f @ 90%+ humidity? The only thing I can think of as being fun in that climate is staying air conditioned. Hey, I could attend a smelt with a drone! I could watch, shoot videos and if I put a speaker on it, kibitz! All from air conditioned spaces. Oh OH! If I did it right the drone could help keep guys cool with a breeze!

Frosty The Lucky.

Get real yourself, I wish I lived closer to the local coffee shop and it's 5 minutes from here. :rolleyes: Heck, you're probably better acclimatized to NC than I am, 100f @ 90%+ humidity? The only thing I can think of as being fun in that climate is staying air conditioned. Hey, I could attend a smelt with a drone! I could watch, shoot videos and if I put a speaker on it, kibitz! All from air conditioned spaces. Oh OH! If I did it right the drone could help keep guys cool with a breeze!

Frosty The Lucky.

just try not to give them buzz cuts. And don't stray too close to the furnace, they might get bummed if you contaminate their bloom with melted drone.