I Forge Iron

Welding

Mostly 6011 or 6013. I don't really worry about welding upside down or inside out much. Most things I just flip the workpiece, turn the workpiece, or otherwise manhandle the workpiece into a comfortable position. Anything to big to manhandle, I say "Hey dad! Ya wanna weld this up quick?" (it pays having the shop out at the farm and having a dad that's passed his weldor's certs!)
-Aaron @ the SCF

Hi Hillbillysmith. Your name makes me think of reading Foxfire 5 (fond memories). It's great that you are taking a welding class. I wish they offered that around here. The only courses they have around here have something like 1 hour of instruction and 2 minutes of practice. And, they don't tell you what all the rods are. This is probably because people think of welding as a low pay job and the votech's and community colleges do not offer it.

As for an answer to the why not use a higher tensile strength rod, my answer is that it is too expensive for something I don't really need. If I am welding together a bottom tool out of mild steel, a fancy 10018 rod is not what I need. The joint does not need the strength, and in addition, these rods are hard to restrike, especially on AC. Now, if I was welding the functional part on tool steel, the higher strength rod does make a difference. It is easy to see the boost in performance between 7018 and 10018 in use, and even the additional boost going to the correct tool steel rod (like Compax Supreme, or something like that).

Aside from this, my main criteria for rod is cheap ;). Ebay and garage sales can be good. But don't use hi-nickel for high strength applications, or aluminum rod to weld cast iron. Once I bought a large amount of Exergon Tuff-Stuff (10018 basic flux equivalent). I use this to weld almost anything, including mild steel, since it was much less per pound than 6011 or 6013, or 7018 for that matter. I am not into paying $$$ per pound for fancy rod at the welding store.

• 1 year later...

OK so this thread ended two years ago, but I'm going to add my .02 anyway. I started playing with a welder twenty years ago, and that's what I do today, play. Obviously wirefeed is easier know-nothings like me, but when I use a stick, I mostly use 7018. Nothing to do with material, ( I only join mild steel) price, penetration, or deposition. My hand is not steady and my eyes aren't great, so I get better results with a drag rod, so I don't hold a gap, and I can feel as much as see what I'm doing. That's a real backyard welder for you!!

Mirror welding is welding on the far side of something where it is impossible to see....unless you are looking in a mirror. Hold the mirror in one hand and the stinger in the other, sometimes one arm over the pipe and one under. Nothing to it :D

I got my biggest welding scar doing that:D I was welding a release valve in a 12" water main about 20' in the air..The lift I was on shifted and the rod (which was bent 90* so I could reach the back of the valve) went down under my hemit and seared a scar right along my hair line :o I looked like frankenstein for a couple weeks..