I Forge Iron

I had never heard of a trammel hook until recently. Decided to try one today during demos. (I don't usually do untried things at demos, but these seemed easy enough).

Found a piece of 1/4 X 3/4 flat off an old buggy and set to punching the holes. All went well till I got to drawing out the end for the top hook. A coupe of hits and I realised it was wrought iron. (Should have known as it came off a 100 year old buggy frame). It started to split so I cut the rough end off and heated it to sparking before making a broad hook. I would have liked to make the hook more decorative with a return scroll but thought better of it.

It turned out OK, but I learned a few things and will make changes to future ones.

The second one I made from a straightened out horse shoe (nice metal). Used the original nail holes drifted out to size. A bit untidy but you can tell it was a shoe. Made the bottom hook a leaf hook - probably won't do that again but you have to try these things.

Anyway, here they are. First try trammel hooks:

trammel hooks.jpg

Yeah, I wondered that when I first saw one. You hang them under your camping tripod so that the height of the pot or billy or whatever can be adjusted over the fire.

Nice trammels, aus.  I like the way you used the holes in the horseshoe and enlarged them.  The leaf on the end is kool.  I made a trammel once for some folks who had a two month long horse camp, but it was just bar stock.  The horseshoe one you made would have been perfect for them.  If they need another, I know where to look for a go-by!

Yeah, I wondered that when I first saw one. You hang them under your camping tripod so that the height of the pot or billy or whatever can be adjusted over the fire.

we use them on a crane in our fireplace to hang pots over the fire for a great stew.  like adjusting the heat on a stove.  I made one at the first blacksmith class I took years ago, and still using, no where near as nice as these.  Very nice indeed. 

Good job.  I used to make trammels for the craft trade but never sold too many.  I think most people don't know what they are - most of mine were probably used to hang plants.

Wrought needs to be worked hot, especially in fine details.  I've had points split; I heated to welding and tacked them back together.  Much easier to do on wrought than mild steel (the welding part, that is...).