I Forge Iron

Help identifying newly acquired coal forge

tdriack

Good Day All:

I just purchased a lot of blacksmithing items very cheap! Coal forge, Queens Dudley anvil, 8 pairs of tongs, and 5 hammers - all for 300$ !

I've done some research online for the coal forge - but can't identify it's maker 100% (there are no markings on it anywhere).

Can someone help me with their expertise in identifying it?

It needs a little work - but should work fine. Belt is in bad shape, and I need to look over the gearing/ pinion for the blower drive - it's worn and tries to skip occasionally.

I'll also post a pic of the anvil in the anvil section - it's in good overall shape.

Forge 1.JPG

Forge 3.JPG

Forge 2.JPG

Three legs won't rock, four legs needs a shim to stop it from rocking.

Who cares what his original name was, he is "YOURS' now.

That style forge works very well when doing a demonstration. Rest your butt on a stool, yak to the folks while pumping the lever, go back to making noise and "BISH" (rubish). Yes if you want to get a big heat, you have to focus quite a bit. Normally if you want a big heat, you use a different forge. A belt laced together works for replacing the drive belt.

Neil

I've seen them in both 3 and 4 leg configurations and they appear to be from the same maker because everything else is the same. They're  nice little forges and the belts can either be ordered or get a piece of leather from Tandy and lace it together. Keep it oiled and the skipping may quit. Some of the cogs in the drive(shaft on the big pulley)  may be dirty and sticking. Cogs isn't the correct term, I know, but they are small metal points that permit the shaft to turn freely in one direction and catch to power the blower in the opposite direction.

Thanks for all the input!

I have cleaned the gear teeth and oiled it - and it is working much better now. It probably was sitting for a decade since it was last used and needed some exercise. Thanks for the input on the belt - it needs to be replaced since I started running it- there is definite dry rot. I initially had planned to get a appropriate sized automotive serpentine belt and use it inside out on the flat side - but I think getting a leather that can be laced and adjusted for length seems a much better idea.