I Forge Iron

Some large throwers for a live target

j.w.s.

Here's a set of half a dozen throwers I just finished up this afternoon. These are 16.5" long and 2.125" at the widest. They're not your typical commercial made throwers as they're a lot larger, a little slower, more visible to an audience and meant to be thrown at (technically around) a human target. That's right, a live human, who with a wrong flinch here or there could quickly become quite the opposite. I've got a friend whom I've known most of his life who is now out seeking adventure on his own and after a few stints with Arabian Knights, Cirque du Solei and Theatre Equus is now in the deepest darkest Peru performing for La Tarumba Gala. Anyway, long story short, he's debuting a new knife throwing show in the late summer and asked me to replicate a set I made for his father (also a stage entertainer) about 15 years ago because he's very familiar with them. Not quite the exact same, but really darn close. Before wrapping up the box today I had to give them a few throws of my own.. all I can say is I love my job some days! :) Enjoy!

J

IMG_20150422_134812.thumb.jpg.e9d794a912IMG_20150422_135113.thumb.jpg.f70719e645

Mild steel or carbon?

Nice design - I can see those tossing well.

​Fully heat treated 4130 - very resilient to the abuse they receive.  The balance is visually deceptive, but it's about just slightly forward of center.. mariginally less than 8.5" from the butt, which is how his dad's original set is weighted. He's been playing with those since he was about 5 years old, so why mess with familiarity?

J

How far to the first half rotation? Or are the intended for a strait relese?

It would vary from person to person but around 6 to 8 feet, but I'm sure they could be thrown with a straight release at the right distance and style. I've seen his dad's show and its about 15 to 18 feet to the target on most stages, I know he marks off a spot on the stage ahead of time, and I believe he gets a full rotation. I think he filed marks on the long handles to let him know where to grip for certain distances but I'm not sure. It's not quite like competition throwing that is done at distances of 20 feet or more - its a feat of skill/bravery done for the thrill of the audience. Purely an adrenaline rush. Caleb is a little smaller than his dad so I'm sure he'll change his style to suit.

J

I dabled as a kid, so i have respect for both performers. I think the resposibility of the thrower is probbably the most stressful. 

Wether you strait relise, hold the blade or the hilt all depend on range, as dose how hard/fast and rist flick. And then you change knives...

When I got serius about using a knife as a defensive/ofensive tool I stoped dabbling. But i still have nothing but respect for you and for your friends.

:blink:I still throw darts by the point, lol, but my game improves as sabrity deminishes... I do find " darts" preferable to knives as an expendible Offensive tool (the big diference is adding a streamer) as it eliminates the issue of spin, and they are intended to be "thrown away"

but I stil wouldn't want the responsibility of of launching a missile at a target held by or close to another person, just to hard on ones heart. 

​He's been playing with those since he was about 5 years old, so why mess with familiarity?

​Ah the good old days when you could give a small child pointy knives to play with.... Most kids run around and draw pictures on the walls. He probably drew them on the walls and started to throw knives at them. Probably a bit hard on the house.... :lol:

Those look great. I've got a friend whose 2 daughters are into martial arts and she asked me at one time if I could make a few sets of throwing knives for them to use. I told her if I had something to work from I could probably figure it out, but not being a knife thrower I wouldn't really know how to adjust what I was making other than trial and error.

Darts are oh so much easier, DSW. Basicaly a throwing knife with a hole drifted as the end of the handle to atache a streamer (curtain tasles work) the tasle eliminates most of the tumble (one short tumble if thrown by the blade) and then they fly strait. Not near as theatric, nore do they require as much skill on the smiths or throwers part. Tho if you get them right the tasle becomes optinal. A leaf shape about 8x2" or the length or your hand from the tip of your index finger to the heal of your (their) palm opiset the thumb. 1 1/2" wide might be apropriate for small hands. Make the streamer twice as long as the blade or in the case of a tasle as long (the tasle has more resistance to straiten out the flight)