I Forge Iron

"Right handed" knife?

Hoping someone may know about sashimi/sushi style knives. I notice that the handmade ones usually indicate if they're right handed or left handed.  Every picture I've seen shows one side of the blade and a typically round symmetric handle. Does this mean the blade is sharpened on one side or do they get ground a special way, or perhaps both?

Hoping to make a couple from some leaf spring steel as my next knife projects. Any tips appreciated.

I haven't seen that profile before. The only ones I saw were more like the profile of a wood chisel cutting edge, straight on the one side and the bevel/grind all on the one side.

Are you planning on doing a laminate style or all one steel? I'd suggest one piece for now, I've heard laminate blades can be quite a headache if you're not ready for them. We have a master bladesmith on here, maybe he'll chime in with some helpful advice.

You are correct their is a small hollow on the back side. You are smart to learn on mono steel because the two layer method is fairly difficult due to the two layers having different properties after heat treat. Basically it often warps like a banana and you have to hammer it straight again, you will see Japanese smiths cold forging both before and after heat treat. I have not played with it enough to get proficient and there are a few blade blanks in the woods by my house that got thrown there after actually watching the steel bend after I took it out of the quench.  someday I hope to get around to working with it more...