I Forge Iron

Double horn anvil ring?

How much louder is the ring of a double horned euro style anvil compared to your typical single horn anvil? It would seem to me with two horns, especially longer thinner ones of the euro style there would be a bit more ring. I found a guy selling about a 300lb double horn anvil, from the looks of it the anvil has a bit of age to it and the price seems right even with the long drive to get it. I've always liked the look of those double horned anvils with the upsetting blocks on the side and I've never had a chance to use an anvil over 150lb before so this one looks pretty good to me, the only thing is I really don't want to bother my neighbors even more than I already do. 

There are several threads on how to deaden or kill the ring of an anvil.

If you want a 300 pound double horn then get your money, get in the car, and go. Think of it as a drive in the country and bringing back an anvil as a bonus. If not someone else will.

Add your location to your profile. There may be someone close to you that would enjoy a road trip.

Edited by Glenn

Get them interested in smithing as well, that helps with the noise. Brand will make a bigger difference in ring than how many horns it has.

You can really deaden the ring with some simple techniques like magnets, chains, sand, etc.

The real quiet brand is Fisher, that is what I use.

I started with a peter write and currently have a fisher, they sure are quiet and I really like mine. Who's to say where this double horn came from, It looks like something that was imported a really long time ago but there doesn't appear to have any markings on it.

Edited by setlab