I Forge Iron

New Gas Forge Completed

tdriack

I finished fabricating my new gas forge today!

I built it from two 6" lengths of square tubing, cutting off a side on each and then welding it together to make a rectangle OD- 16"x12"x6".The fire chamber is approximately 16"x8"x3" - 384 cubic inches. It's lined with 1 1/2" thick duraboard 2690 I believe (free scraps from a friend) and 4 fire bricks as doors. The two burners I fabricated similar to ones on Zoeller Forge's page. They use .35 mig tips and it will heat 1" square stock very fast. The gas piping has a 3 position valve (Off and two outlets) so I installed a second gas supply circuit with a needle valve that can be set as a lower output pilot for idling while I work. I haven't tried to reach welding temps yet - but i'm certain it will reach it no problem. I need to do some fine tuning on the burners - but at 8 -10 psi - the forge works great currently. I am going to add two air draft swinging covers on the tees on the burners so i can adjust air - one sputtered a little for a bit (covering the tee air inlet slightly with my hand cleared it up). I am very pleased with the forge - the size will be able to do anything I decide to work on at this point. The portability and weight is great and I can have it in my driveway and running in 5 mins. I do need to add a bracket support in the front so I can stabilize pieces of length - I'll tack weld two 3/8" nuts to the door support as a removable mounting very soon and post another picture. I was able to use a lot of free materials from friends and the gas plumbing was found at a yard sale - coffee can full of fittings for like 10$. My total cost for the forge was around 100$ out of pocket!

I did a lot of research before building this project - But if i missed something - Please let me know!

Gas Forge 2.JPG

Gas Forge 3.JPG

Gas Forge 4.JPG

Gas Forge 1.JPG

That's a fair criticism - Thank you! I went with steel to the edge since i'll be moving it around and have been disconnecting the hose when stored. I'll add a length of steel tubing to get the hose farther away - better safe than sorry..... Thanks!

Here's the new hose connection - much safer!

I'll try for a running pic when it gets a tad darker out. One of the burner tips was fouled with something and was sputtering - so I had to disassemble it and blow it out / inspect it. For now - I also installed a fitted piece of insulation inside to block the back door. I can pop it out if i need too. 

Gas Forge 5.JPG

Much better gas line routing! Now just bend it so it's aimed straight down where folk are less likely to trip on it and I'll leave you alone about it. <grin>

Tell me you didn't use Teflon tape on the gas lines. Teflon and propane do NOT play well together, there is an approved paste thread compound/sealer and it won't blow little bits loose to block things like jets.

She's looking hot for sure. Is there much dragon's breath? A LITTLE is a good thing to prevent scaling IN the forge just be aware it indicates CO production in excess of a neutral burn. Yeah, any open gas flame will produce CO, the richer the more though, so be more careful. Ventilation is your friend.

Frosty The Lucky.