I Forge Iron

Anvils to the left Anvils to the right

Just got back from a farm outside a little town just north of here. after see a small add in the paper for Garden ornaments/anvils. Old Tom had six anvils at this site another four at the back of his house that were not for sale at this time(the big guys are peter wright 450-500lbs).I have more pictures and close ups but this is probably enough for this post. I`m still excited!

Some of them diffidently need to be turn into indoor variety.The sandstone blocks is this guy passion the anvil are ornamentation only, none have been work on.He sold two some months ago says I`m the first one who wasn`t going to put it out as a garden ornament.

Edited by stan

There might be something in that Frosty ,  a few months back was at a house selling plants that my wife and I went to buy and while looking at the plants I see this big green thing at the back which turned out to be the 262lbs Wilkinson,Garden ornament.The paint was so thick it did not ring! If I keep coming across anvils they might start calling me Stan the lucky

Yeah, I was only partly joking. Last summer Deb and I were hitting garage sales and found one with several tables of things that got my interest, mostly ball peins and medium carbon things like pry bars, etc. The fellow asked why I was buying so many pry bars so I told him about forging them into other stuff. He points out at the light pole in his circle drive and there's a complete Champion post drill with a potted plant on the table, he only wanted $500.00 for it even though it was so rusted up it was a rusty block.

Of course then he points at the anvils in the garden. I smiled and told him that was a "heck" of a way to treat valuable tools and he gave me a smug smile and told me it was a dead trade and their antique value vastly outweighed mere craftsmen's wants.

I smiled and we got in the Saturn and left him there looking at a dozen hammers and something like 8 prybars.

It was a real eye opener for me I'm just so out of touch with modern . . . Something or other.

Frosty The Lucky.

Goodness, the arrogance in that is exchange is infuriating. The idea that a thing has more value specifically put to no good use, to appease one's sensibilities, as opposed to being USED to create THOUSANDS OF THINGS.

If I ever hear someone spout something like that, I'll retort that I doubt his anvil is of more valuable use sitting in the garden, than the hundreds of decorations I'll make using mine!

I had to try hard to hold my tongue. He had an old but obviously doted over Mercedes in the yard and it was really hard not to say something like how I'd use the tools to make a trellis for my convertible Mercedes flower planter.

You run into folk like this too often, old=antique is valuable. Useful can't be Art. etc. etc. It's not like I need another post drill and the hammers and such would've been nice in the stock pile but nothing worth raising my blood pressure over.

I will admit I looked him in the eye like he was a retard till he dropped his gaze. Then Deb and I just walked to the Saturn and boogied. Not worth another word.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Fortunately not all of these lawn ornament stories have a sad ending like this. That's precisely how I obtained my 114 American Wrought anvil for free. A friend of mine divorced, she got the house in the city and he got to keep the cottage at the lake where I lived at the time. She had the yard full of kitschy stuff like hubcaps nailed to trees, old walk behind plows, wagon wheels etc etc etc. The anvil was mine so long as I got all the rest of the junk to disappear which I did with a single phone call :)