I Forge Iron

What are these old blacksmith tools?

2 hours ago, Kozzy said:

Hobbles were not just for horses---cows and goats too.  There is one style which doesn't go completely around the leg but instead sort of pinches the muscles so you just slip them over the muscular part of the back legs:  On and off in a breeze for milking.  You can sort of see a similar thing in the image of this patent  http://www.google.com/patents/US1244628

The extra chain could be to immobilize the tail of a cow.

Not saying that's what they are as the distance between the cuffs seems awfully short to me but they are not so far from pinch hobbles to rule it out.

The head of the pins could dig into the legs of the livestock causing irritation, the drawing of the hobbles that you show are smooth on the inside. The holes on the end are probably meant for a bolt to compress it.

• 3 months later...

The second photo....what Daswulf called Hobbles/Shackles, are what old country boys call "cow kickers". They were, as Kozzy said, used while milking....... to keep cows from kicking over the milk pail!  Got a set just like those hanging on my wall even as I type this.

The one on the left in the first picture looks like it might be a type of efeminator, the one on the right looks like a hoof clipper, in the second picture those are hobbles,
that third one looks like some sort of mangled cobbler's anvil or stake anvil, but I'm not sure about that.
My guess for that last one would be a part of some farm machine, but I've no idea of what specifically it'd be for.

• 7 months later...