I Forge Iron

Howling Forge

Frozenforge

I picked up a 1" Victor Turbo Torch setup at garage sale couple weeks ago so I decided to build a smaller easily portable forge. Its made from light fire brick and is 63 cubic inch volume.

image.thumb.jpg.f1fe1ee390c5cc95a4a2b83c

Once its warmed up it starts to resonate loudly like when you blow across the top of a bottle. It is right around the sweet spot setting which is really annoying. 

The turbotorch has a swirling design and the tip of the torch has the lip slightly rolled in to slightly reduce the diameter. 

Is the the torch causing the howl? Has anyone experienced this or used one of these torches in a forge?

That's normal for a Turbotorch when it's in the groove. Annoying as all git out but it's how that's a Turbotorch for you. You won't have any trouble welding in that rig if that's your goal. Keep the torch back from the chamber as far as possible or it'll burn itself up pretty quickly.

Frosty The Lucky.

I picked up one at a garage sale a couple years ago for $20.00 but the guy wouldn't throw in the 20lb. propane tank. I didn't tell him it was worth a fraction the price of the torch. Heck, the propane hose that came with it.

How many tips did you get with it?

Frosty The Lucky.

That's a good boy, don't argue with your elders. Have a cookie. <grin>

I think we got  3 maybe 4 tips and Deb uses it mostly for enameling when I'm not pre-warmng the anvil or something needing a hot bushy flame.

Frosty The Lucky.