I Forge Iron

Linseed oil for cleaning up tools, vise etc?

Robert33usa

Maybe a dumb question, but I have read some folks use linseed oil on their vises and tools after they clean the rust off.  Is this effective?  Does it remain tacky?  I have used it on tool handles, but never on the metal.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I have an old vice and some old tools that could use cleaning up.  Thanks

Maybe a dumb question, but I have read some folks use linseed oil on their vises and tools after they clean the rust off.  Is this effective?

YES

Does it remain tacky?

YES

I have used it on tool handles, but never on the metal.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I have an old vice and some old tools that could use cleaning up.  Thanks

​It works fine, it does stay tacky for a LONG time, but some people cut it with Mineral Spirits so it goes on easy and dries faster.  It looks real nice on an anvil or post vice that has been cleaned up a bit, but not wire brushed till it shines.  It does dry out eventually and will leave a bit of shellac, so it can gum things up a bit, but most things it works fine on... It will stop or atleast slow down the rusting.  Looks a ton better than paint on an anvil or a post vice...  :-)  The nice thing is that scale and bumps with the hammer, or a hot project doesn't chip the paint, and you rub it down occasionally with a little more oil and it stays looking well oiled;-)

Don't know about linseed oil... I use the cheapest ( least expensive) ATF (automatic transmission fluid) I can find.  I read somewhere that it is formulated to molecularly bond to metal. I little puddle the size of a quarter on a paper towel and wipe down the face, throw a rag on the face followed by a board to keep the wind from blowing the rag off.  Hasn't rusted yet.

If you go the linseed oil route, make sure you use what is sold as Boiled Linseed Oil, not Raw Linseed Oil.  The "boiled" stuff has driers in it that will hasten the drying process.  Thinning it with mineral spirits helps also.  And make sure ANY rag or paper towel is either soaked in water for days or put it in your forge or stove and burn it.  No shop fires from oily rags needed.