I Forge Iron

Neo-Tribal / Primal/Tactical 'hawk and knife combo

Stormcrow

This pair was ordered up by a customer who had previously bought an 18" Wrecker tomahawk from me and has used it quite a bit.  He wanted a matching 'hawk and knife with cord wrapped handles.

The 'hawk is the more "neo" of the pair, a 15" War Chief in 1/4" 4140, with the top and bottom rivet holes left exposed to allow for lanyard options.  The knife is forged from 1/4" x 1 1/4" 80CrV2, with a 7" blade and a false edge on the clip.  Both have hemp-over-leather handle wraps and black oxide finish on the steel.  There is a leather slab on either side of the tang underneath the hemp to bulk up the handle.  The edges on the leather were heavily beveled prior to wrapping to keep the corners of the handle from being too square.  Three strand Turk's head knots in black round leather lace cover the ends of the wrap, and the whole wrap is impregnated with marine epoxy.  The customer will be making his own sheaths.

tims04_zps3f9jb82s.jpg

tims05_zpsgqlxnxqd.jpg

tims06_zpsmzp0su7s.jpg

"Neo-Tribal" was a movement in blacksmithing to get back to it's earlier "tribal" roots.  It was/is characterized by the use of home built charcoal forges; improvised anvils and a goal of forging to shape with less than 10% stock removal on blades.

It had the Primal Fires website for a number of years and Tim Lively and Tai Goo were well known figures in it.  Full moon parties and bottle cap damascus also played a part in the movement.

I used to be a moderator on the board for it as I started out with a home built forge burning home made charcoal back in 1981.

Several members did very excellent work indeed showing that you don't really need to sink a ton of money in tools to do good smithing!