I Forge Iron

getting a vise?

Nate Simon

Machinist or Post vise?

Well it really doesn't matter that much as my suggestion is to look *EVERYWHERE* If you ask everyone you meet about finding a vise one will turn up. Note it may be the 88 year old lady in line at the grocery store or the 20 year old guy that cleans out garages...

The local used furniture shop / antique store near me has one. I've seen a few at flea markets / swap meets. Blacksmithing groups often have tailgating sections at their local meets where guys sell things they have found or don't need any more to other members. I know several guys at the meetings I go to who jump on any blacksmithing item the come across cheap and sell them at the meetings to others who might not be so fortunate, usually at a minimal markup to cover their fuel to go and get it.

Scrap places are always a good place to look. If you are lucky the guys there may set things aside for you if they know you are interested and willing to pay decent money ( well above scrap value) for items like that. Stopping in regularly and checking as well as bringing donuts or a few frosty ones doesn't hurt...

Both of mine came from old barns. The people knew I was interested in old tools and mentioned they had them there if I was interested in them. I had several people come up to me when I was doing a demo at the grange fair this summer and mention they had old blacksmithing stuff in their barns... Sadly the only 2 that people brought over were old machinist vises, but the kids who were helping me managed to get good deals on them if nothing else.  The woman who runs the 4-H archery program I help out at has a really nice 6" post vise I'm working on trying to see if she'll sell. She found out I do blacksmithing and her husband showed me the old vise stored in the old milking barn.