I Forge Iron

Large Cleaver

Been awhile since I posted anything with a cutting edge.  Anyhow, I was surfing youtube and came across this awesome youtube video:

From the bouncing lower die, to large production san mai construction, it was awesome.  There are some naysayers out there, but it was a testament to the anyang hammers, look at all the layers built up to reach proper anvil height!  When he forges the tang out, cutting and bending outwards, that was pretty awesome.  I had to try my hand at this.  My attempt is not san mai, but from a solid piece of leaf spring.  The handle I turned from ash.  To secure the handle, I welded a 5/16" threaded rod to the end and made an aluminum nut that tightened down on the handle.  The nut was recessed 1" and a disk of ash was glued to cover over the opening.  Cutting edge is 8" with an overall length of 13 1/2."

post-23085-305389_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

its always nice to see someone somewhat close to me:D looks nice.

littleblacksmith