I Forge Iron

Ceramic Chip Forges

Rainbows

Now I understand how they work, but now I want to know along with the OP, do they work well?  Do they get steel hot enough to weld?  How is the heat concentrated?  How long of a heat on a bar can you get?  Fuel consumption?  Anyone have any experience with them?

The Flamefast chip forge is popular in schools in UK. It costs about £3000+ new. Depending on the gas jet (which is easily changed)

for either Propane or Natural gas,max heat is lower on Nat. gas models as the pressure is lower. Propane runs hotter and will melt mild steel but produces a lot of scale as it has an air blower. The torch is very convenient for localised heat or lighting a coke forge. The gas and air mixture is pumped into a plenum chamber beneath the burner which is similar to the ribbon burners I have seen pictured, a ceramic disc with lots of small drilled holes about 1/8" size. This disc is about 6" diameter. It needs about 12kg. of ceramic chips which costs about £60 from Flamefast. Length of heat is same as coke/coal forge, as is the footprint on shop floor. Gas consumption is fairly high,but no doubt could be adjusted down. It is easy to use for the small shop but is no longer popular in the larger pro shop.

Hope this helps.