I Forge Iron

Stainless bar

So I found a big bar of shiny metal and made a set of tongs from it. I noticed that the tongs are non-magnetic and I don't have an issue dropping them I water when hot and they've been whacked by a hammer more times that I'd care to say. A neighbor (sheet metal worker) said it was probably low-grade stainless. What is good to make from that? I still have about 3' of it left and it's 3/4".

300 SS is non-magnetic except when work hardened. Not as magnetic as mild but will attract a magnet. 400 is magnetic, stronger than 300 but still not as strongly magnetic as mild. 300 SS won't termally harden, in fact to soften one heats and quenches. 400 will quench harden.

So I'm n hawaii, would his stuff be alright to make a dive knife out of? I'm not looking for anything to shave under water with, but could I make a few knives for my buddies so they have something to swim with while spear fishing? I guess if it won't harden then it would make a pretty crappy blade, but if it only needs to pierce it could work. . . .

I guess I'll let you guys know how they turn out.