I Forge Iron

SlingShots :)

hiltsbilt

At the risk this has become an "Everything Else" topic: :D

The therabands have to be tied on for the most part. Especially for over-the-fork attachment. Through-the-fork can be attached through a notch cut in the fork legs but still needs to be secured. I'm pretty sure I have read about some folks using super glue too but still tying is a must. Gluing however, makes field repair more of a hassle. Bands rarely come loose before they break when simply tied. There's just too much pressure on the rubber if tied properly.

Not mine, but typical over-the-fork attachment:

post-38-0-89184500-1419396910_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...
On 24/12/2014 at 5:56 PM, Dodge said:

At the risk this has become an "Everything Else" topic: :D

The therabands have to be tied on for the most part. Especially for over-the-fork attachment. Through-the-fork can be attached through a notch cut in the fork legs but still needs to be secured. I'm pretty sure I have read about some folks using super glue too but still tying is a must. Gluing however, makes field repair more of a hassle. Bands rarely come loose before they break when simply tied. There's just too much pressure on the rubber if tied properly.

Not mine, but typical over-the-fork attachment:

post-38-0-89184500-1419396910_thumb.jpg

Note on gluing: many 'superglue' type glues contain acetone that will degrade the rubber rapidly. Always best to tie - agreed!
Over the top/fork is the easiest IMHO - however (missing from the pic above) the tops should be rounded over front to back (but not side to side) in order to reduce wear on the bands (particularly flat bands).

@OP: you can even fit flat bands to your forged SS (which are neat!) You would just need to sit the bands over the top of the forks and lash them tightly while under moderate tension, with strips of rubbers also under tension.

Slings (roman kind) are something else! I've put river rocks through 18mm plywood with out trouble and when you hear one released with a 'hummm' you KNOW you have got a good 100-200 meter distance on your projectile . . .

I agree on the rounding. I shoud'a posted one of mine which are rounded. I was just lazy and got that pic from google (Should have credited that in OP) I use thin strips of Thera-band to lash my bands on; no glue. just lashed and have no issue with loosening. Probably wrap 6 - 8 times before tucking and cutting (probably more technical terms for it but its not really a knot)

1106141532a.thumb.jpg.5ef464f645034d586a

OK here's one. Sorry for the giant pic :rolleyes:

Edited by Dodge
add pic