I Forge Iron

Battleship TEXAS

This is a piece of the Battleship TEXAS that I had the honor of working with. It was chosen to be presented to the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. on Dec.1. I was very humbled to have had my work pick from those submitted to be return to the same shipbuilder that built her back in 1911-12. It took them 1yr, 1mo, & 1day from laying the keel to launching her! most impressive. It was another 2yrs before she was commissioned in the USNavy as a battleship....had to get her packin' those big guns!  The other pieces of fabric were in a silent auction fund raiser for the ship. There is MUCH to do to keep her from going to rust and the current push is to get her in a permanent drydock. If you ever get the chance to visit I assure you, you will not be disappointed.

post-249-0-79176400-1418089522_thumb.jpg

post-249-0-35370400-1418089561_thumb.jpg

post-249-0-35578900-1418089611_thumb.jpg

Yes! sorry, should have stated how I came about the piece. They, Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept., had a $20m refurb on the support structure under the starboard engine. The engine alone weighs 55tons. Took the contractor 18mos. to complete with only 8 change orders!  The metal removed was originally destined to be sold as scrap....to the tune of $11.00 per 100lbs. New steel was used in the rebuilding of the support structure.  The HABA group to on the task of making sculptures, actually "ready mades", with the fabric and giving back the TPWD and these were sold at fund raising events or given to dignitaries to help raise funds. Most of these ready mades were selling for $90.00lb. Obviously the better way to dispose of the metal! There is a gentleman in Lufkin, TX that is making Damascus blades using some of the fabric. Check "Battleship TEXAS" on FB to see some of his knives....then come back to IFI!! :)

I have seen the Texas as well as the San Jacinto Memorial. Both very interesting. The Texas is a good looking ship. Interesting that only 2 ships were built in that class. The USS New York and the USS Texas.....Since the New York was first, was the New York Class of Battleship.

I have seen the Texas as well as the San Jacinto Memorial. Both very interesting. The Texas is a good looking ship. Interesting that only 2 ships were built in that class. The USS New York and the USS Texas.....Since the New York was first, was the New York Class of Battleship.

I always wondered how the classes of ships where named.  I learned something new today.  Thanks.

The metal removed was originally destined to be sold as scrap....   these were sold at fund raising events or given to dignitaries to help raise funds. Most of these ready mades were selling for $90.00lb.

Much better use than the port side engine of the USS Olympia moored in Philadelphia. Years ago when they needed to do hull work they paid for part of the repairs by scrapping out the entire port engine with all it's brass and iron parts. Sadly the ship is again in desperate need of hull repairs but they aren't yet sure how they will pay for it. Several groups have attempted to acquire the ship for use as a reef or scrap it rather than preserve the last of Teddy's Great White Fleet.

Amazing what Newport News has built over the years. I was lucky enough to get a full tour of Grand Coulee Dam back in the mid 80's when in Scouts. IIRC the original turbines were all cast and turned on the huge lathes at Newport News and were the largest ever built at the time. I was also lucky to be able to go aboard the USS Nimitz while she was under construction in Newport News in the 70's as my dad was assigned as Asst Supervisor of ship building there for the Navy at the time.

It is still amazing the the USS Olympia still exists after more than 100 years after it was built.  Too bad more people do not care what happens to historic ships/technology/buildings of the past.  Now if they could only figure out a way to restore the USS United States, that would be amazing.

• 2 months later...

I went on a bit of a battleship tour in the early eighties, saw the Uss Massachusetts,North Carolina, Alabama, Texas and Olympia just love the fact theses ships are now monuments.I must say Texas is a particular good site.